Jack Russell that Bolts

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Humhill, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Humhill

Humhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Liberty, NC
    I have a male (neutered) JRT that is about 6 years old. Other than some aggression issues with other male dogs, he's very well-behaved and was the star of his obedience class. However, if you let him out of his lot, he runs. Don't get me wrong, he can run all he wants. But, he gets his mind on something and runs and won't stop or listen and runs out to the road, and across the road, and to other people's property. I fear for his safety and think that if I could just get his attention, he would listen, it's just like he tunes me out.
    I've tried a long cord for him to drag so I can grab it and stop him, but that little sucker can fly!! I've thought about using a shock collar to get his attention and call him back. Has anyone had experience with this?

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    It's worth a try. He has learned he can get away with it. It sounds like it has become a game for him.

3. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    My beagle was like that when she was younger. She didn't even notice the shock collar, she was so darn focused on chasing things. I tethered her, and it worked perfectly.

4. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Sounds just like my Jack Russell, Bob. He too would bolt and be gone if given a chance even though he obeys very well in the house and in his yard. We got an invisiable radio fence, no wire to bury. I trained him to it for a couple of weeks, been usung it for 5 years now and it works great. He respects it. It gives him plenty of room to run and get out his energy. He did wear out the warning beeper on the reciever collar though. He would go out to the edge of the boundry just enough to make the collar beep and then turn circles and bark at it. Silly dog.

5. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Tie him up. Don't let him loose.

6. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Quote:[​IMG] Don't do that....Small dogs shouldn't be tied up, that would probably just cause more harm then good....I agree with the shock collar thing because usually just takes one time lol ZAP!!!

7. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Yeah it would be bad if he was on a leash, much worse than him getting killed by a passing car.

Small dogs are no less able to be on a leash than a big dog, and there's no difference in responsibility between kieeping a little dog from getting killed and a big dog from getting killed. THere is no difference there.

The little ones are just more likely to get hit and killed by a car.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have min pins and they are a breed that the experts say will never be good off leash.... we guess what... WRONG... BUT it took almost 2 years of training. When we would go outside they were on a long leash when they learned the come command their leash got extended and extended even more till now we dont even bother with the leash they are about 20` away cause they think they are on the lead and when they push it they go back on the 10`lead again.

In the spring when the critters are stirring its hard and i will put them on the zip line if i cant watch them or tie them to me again..

I never will be able to let them go and roam at will.. someone will always have to be outside with the dogs

9. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Quote:[​IMG] Don't do that....Small dogs shouldn't be tied up, that would probably just cause more harm then good....I agree with the shock collar thing because usually just takes one time lol ZAP!!!

How come they shouldn't be tied? Just wondering the reason.

10. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    I would try the "Imma run away method". Once he gets away, turn around with a squeeky toy and run away from him. He thinks it's a game and will normally chase after you. If you choose to tie him, bring him inside for bad weather. End of story.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by