1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jacksonville, Florida city limits

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by crashnjax, Apr 3, 2011.

1. mammabyrd

mammabyrd New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    I just got my notice form the city of Jacksonville today. My neighbor complained about noise.... I live off Timuquana/Roosevelt. What’s this petition going to do? How do you get the petition out? And who do you take it to city official wise? I have 15 days to "exterminate" my birds so I'm looking to try something soon. I found on the COJ web site you can file for a "zoning exception" for a mere $500 they will agree to "view" your application, NOT grant it. This is crazy what’s it 44 other US cites allow at least 3 laying hens? Aren’t we "moving forward", "going green”? What I'm actually doing is saving the tax payer money by not being on WIC or food stamps and raising my own food.

2. crashnjax

crashnjax Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:this is the petition.....
    http://www.petitiononline.com/hens4jax/petition.html

please sign it and tell people to help you out. the more that know the more we can grow. roosters do make alot of noise, hens not so much. if you live in an apartment then yes i can see how your neighbors could complain. but if you own your own home then your neighbors should really learn to mind their own business unless its going to hurt some one. thats my opinion, i hate nosey neighbors.

3. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Signature 112 just went up on the site. Even though next month I will be relocating, I'm here now and that's what counts, right? [​IMG] Good luck folks! Hope to hear they amended the codes and you get chickens!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  4. crashnjax

Apr 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:thanks, from what i know we have over 2000 signed via internet and paper, so keep fingers crossed.

5. mammabyrd

mammabyrd New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    i have gotten about 30 friends to sign! but Amanda Searle has one going right now with over 100 so if we add this one with hers....... well be better off. i have spent a couple hours on the phone with city officials and actually got a few good ones who are for the change but need to get a proper zoning amendment. i was given her name by two people at the zoning commissions office. contact her, offer you help, sign any petition. i have a God given right to feed my family and will do this! i was told by the zoning commissions office Mrs Searle "is close" so we should seek her out.

6. crashnjax

Apr 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:great job. if you can get us her email mail we can start sending her and other emails to encourage them for the change.

7. ChickyFlicky

ChickyFlicky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    I signed the petition. I also live near timuquan and roosevelt but thankfully my girls don't make too much noise and neighbors haven't really noticed. I hope we can get the message across and we are allowed to legally keep our chickens.

8. gtrgirl74

gtrgirl74 New Egg

Apr 24, 2011
    Just signed the petition!! [​IMG] I hope this can be changed!!
    I picked up a free flyer at Grass Roots the last time I was there shopping and there was an article on urban chicken keeping...has anyone thought about trying to get the FL Times Union to do a piece on the benefits to get some attention?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  9. crashnjax

Apr 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:im not sure. im new to chickens. but im interested in keeping chickens so ive been helping others by getting the word out about the petition.

10. crashnjax

Apr 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Just wanted to update this post. I wanted to let every one know that as of May 31st this year i am now running fro FL STATE SENATE DISTRICT 1 for 2012 and a NPA. I do have a forum its johnstrifler4senate.proboards.com i am also on facebook and i have twitter now. I still want chickens myself. So please hit me up and voice your opinions on my forum as well. If elected for my other topics i will definitely use my influence to help change local ordinances to help people get along with chickens. Unfortunately i didnt get to keep up with the petition, so if some one could update me with it, i would appreciate it very much. I am also looking for some volunteers to help me out. let me please. Now more than every we need to change our government for the betterment of the FLORIDIANS. i can be reached at [email protected] as well besides my forum. If you can volunteer, please let me know. I can also use some ideas for areas to hold rallys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by