1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jalapenos?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mylilchix, Sep 14, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Can chickens eat jalapenos? Will it hurt them? I have a bunch here that we won't finish, and I was thinking of giving it to the girls.

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I don't know for sure, but we have a plant with lots of peppers on it, and the girls won't touch any of them which is more than I can say about the tomatoes growing on the plant that's right next to it.

3. mlm1965

mlm1965 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Maryville, TN
    my silkie loves jalapenos, but the cochin will not touch them. I do not know why they are so different. All i can tell you is try it and see. My two will not eat a lot of things that I have seen others eat. They have their own personalities and tastes.

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I know that chickens don't have the ability to taste heat or whatnot, but I just would not do it [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. redbone

redbone Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Rockvale, TN
    Wouldn't this be a natural defense against internal parasites?

6. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

That's what I was wondering! I was thinking of worming, but was thinking I'd feed them the extra jalapenos and see how their bellies did.

7. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    I just gave my girls a whole basket of hot peppers....they did not touch one

8. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    my parrot loves them but the chickens don't guess they aren't tropical enough for the heat lol

9. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Em...could this also burn coming out the "other end"? [​IMG] Do they have heat receptors there? [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I was thinking that it might burn them, too, PLUS if they are laying eggs, the eggs might taste funny. When I got my birds, my mother-in-law warned me, "Just don't ever feed them radishes - those were the nastiest eggs we had ever tasted. We just threw them away."

I would guess jalapenos might have a similar effect. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by