James Marie Pharaoh vs. American Pharaoh quail?

But why aren't they 12 or more ounces? Avg. is probably 8-9. My own quail are 10-12. I bought these for larger Quail. It's no fun raising and cleaning 8 ouncers.
What did you feed them? How old are they now? How long did you brood them? What were your brooding temperatures the first two weeks?

I live in louisiana and have heard nothing but good about JMF. Just wondering if i ordered from him how long it would take to get eggs and would he mix up a order? Like half jumbo and half tibetan or would it be two seperate orders. I'm only asking here because I've read he stays VERY busy and would hate to bother him with these questions
It really depends on how long of a wait list there is for each color. The worse the weather is the midwest the less that gets shipped successfully and the last 9-10 months have been hockeysticks on shipping things through the midwest.

He's reliable. But he never responded to a phone message asking why my batch he sent me never got as large as he said they'd be. I've hatched my own that are larger. I had to order almost three months ahead.
I don't want to be rude but consider this; I'm guessing you ordered a whole box of eggs (52), right? Lets just say that JMF had a record terrible year and only shipped 300,000 eggs (this year Robby sold that many in the first four months...) you would represent appx .00017% of his egg business this year, in reality the percentage is much lower. He has only a couple employees and over 15000 quail. It comes down to there just isn't enough time in a day to personally answer all of the questions people might have. He produces and obtains for us the best stock in the coturnix world and has dedicated more to the preservation and improvement of coturnix than anyone else you could name. You can imagine just how busy all of that makes him. I think given what he has done and continues to do for the coturnix world every day that people should make some allowances when it comes to their judgement of JMF returning phone calls.I think we should all be happy that JMF is a small family business, that focuses on producing such high quality stock.

I've raised a lot of JMF pharaohs, and while the size ranges like birds of every line will, I have never had issues with them being undersized. I speak to and work with a lot of other breeders as well and none of them have anything but glowing reports regarding JMF stock. When someone says their birds aren't getting up to size the first questions they need to answer are 1. what are you feeding them 2 how are you brooding them? If young quail run out of food for more than just a couple hours they can be stunted for life, if you aren't feeding them high enough protein starter they won't get up to size, if you are brooding them too cool or for too short a time it can also stunt their growth.

Last edited:
26% gamebird starter. Raised them the same as my other batches in a plastic storage thing with heat lamp at staged temps for first month. Just wondering if cold incubation did this. I hatched some chickens on time, but had the thermometer reading 103 most of the time.

Last edited:
That's odd. So disappointing mine are 8-9 ouncers. Thermometer must be off. I hope at least their genes for large children hasn't been affected.

in fact I weighed my quail at 7 weeks and they were averaging 10 to 13 ounces yesterday they hit 8 weeks but I haven't weighed them again yet I read somewhere online that the Jumbo variety can take as long as 10 to 12 weeks to grow is this true just by looking at them I can tell they grown in the last week and I'm sure those 13 ounces well are now closer to 14 does that mean I'm going to 1 pound quail? Oh and by the way I like feed is Purina GBS also 24 hours of light I have an LED bulb in the aviary

James Marie Pharaohs from JMF are the best dual-purpose Coturnix Jumbos he has IMPO, and when I asked for dual-purpose because I wanted large eggs but might also butcher for meat that's what he suggested (and sent) me. Loving my James Marie Pharaoh chicks!

Back
Top Bottom