Jan. 2022 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Late to update (but better than never): the hatch is over - right on time, with just a couple hatching on day 22 - and I have a brooder full of chicks. Hatch rate was good for both BCM and OE, but there were a few late quitters with both. 😕 Based on my records, I suspect that eggs laid in winter are a bit less optimal for hatching than those laid the rest of the year - not entirely surprising, since there's less daylight, colder weather, fewer bugs and greens.

The littles are almost constantly in motion, hence the action shot. 😂

Best of luck to the folks whose eggs have yet to hatch!

Attachments

• PXL_20220117_142509554.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    PXL_20220117_142509554.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 4
Late to update (but better than never): the hatch is over - right on time, with just a couple hatching on day 22 - and I have a brooder full of chicks. Hatch rate was good for both BCM and OE, but there were a few late quitters with both. 😕 Based on my records, I suspect that eggs laid in winter are a bit less optimal for hatching than those laid the rest of the year - not entirely surprising, since there's less daylight, colder weather, fewer bugs and greens.

Congratulations on your new chicks! They are adorable.😍

Those little golden heads... :love 🤗

So adorable! Congratulations!

I think we may be down to 8 left. I candled most of them this morning & have 5 with no movement. I’m going to candle them again tonight to be sure.
Sorry to hear it - maybe they're still developing even if they're not moving when you candle. I like to candle from the top to verify active veins before I call a quitter.

You mentioned that some were pullet eggs - I've hatched them before, but find that they typically don't hatch as well as eggs from mature hens...but they definitely can - and do - hatch. :fl

ETA: inadvertently omitted word :hmm

Last edited:
I thought I would check in on all the hatch-a-long-ers, I am reading what you have going on. My birds are doing well. I have some older birds combined. I rehomed 3 females. My boy chicks I hatched are so friendly even though i don't spend much time with them. 3 weeks old.
I ordered some black copper maran eggs today. How do you all candle them, or do you?
Some times you cannot tell until day 10.

Back
Top Bottom