Jan. 2022 Hatch-a-long

Pics
I just want to love on all of them ❤️ Congrats

I candled a couple of mine this morning while turning. They seem to be on track & my lil incubator is holding strong at 99.5-100 with 35% humidity dry. We’re in Alabama where our air is humid even in winter. I plan on keeping it dry until lockdown
I have noticed digital shows dryer than it is.

I have noticed digital shows dryer than it is.
I’m not using a digital. With our humidity being in the 90s lately I’m happy that I’m able to keep it under 50%. I’ve also been weighing the eggs. They’ve all been losing the correct amount of moisture based on the 12% total loss broken down to 4% every 6 days.

Four Bielefelder eggs going into lockdown this morning:
F99BC726-8124-4634-9755-36EE26AAFAFD.jpeg

The lightest one had a badly saddled air cell initially, but it has shifted to a more normal shape now. It and the darkest egg showed lots of movement while I was candling this morning.

The first one hatched surprisingly quickly given its position. Unfortunately, it’s a cockerel.
View attachment 2969236

I helped the second one establish an air/safety hole and will check it again in a few hours. Fingers crossed for a pullet! Nothing yet from the other two eggs.
Maybe the next one will be a pullet. I noticed that the pullet's have the darker "V" on the head, and look more chipmunked on the back's. The black mark by the eye goes back pretty far too on them.

Chick #2 is a pullet! :wee
View attachment 2969345

It was a difficult/assisted hatch, so she’s pretty worn out at the moment. She’s fluffed up but not alert yet. It’ll be a while before she’s ready to move to the brooder.

No pips on the other two eggs yet.
Can you dip her beak in a vitamin and electrolyte in water mixture? That's what I do with mine to help give them more strength when they are worn out.

Back
Top Bottom