JAN 28th HATCH!!! Who's with me?!?

i have a question to those who have hatched bantams do you put them in lockdown on day 16 or do you wait? of the batam eggs i have tried to hatch i havent had any hatch on day 19 so i was just wondering if eveyone else still puts them on lockdown early? i probably still will just because of the chance one might try and hatch early but...
hu.gif
today is day 14 and i am trying to behave and wait to candle until day 16. when i candled on day 10 had good movement on the 13 i kept so
fl.gif
. thanks all

Quote:
Unless there seramas then wait until day 18

ok well 5 of the eggs are serama so i guess i need to do lockdown on day 16?

Ok I think I really am addicted. Now, like I said yesterday we have 12 looking good in the bator on day 15, 4 under a broody look good on day 11, and we now have 11 more day old chicks being shipped out on the 26th and we cant wait!!!!!!!! Dont worry though we can house all of them just fine!!! I just wanted to say this is really addicting,I'll keep ya'll posted on everthing! God bless and good luck!

Last count I have 48 eggs still possibly going strong...when is it too early to float test? Had one obvious rotten egg a few days ago but found it quickly...How is everyone doing number-wise?

Also, I am going to try to hatch them in cartons this time: I have one 18 ct carton and 2-12 count cartons so space is very limited for any that hatch...should I not use cartons? I am using an LG styrofoam...the cartons are taking up a lot of room...

If the cartons take up more than 3/4 of the bator don't bother with them. I have my 60 quail eggs due on the 28th and I can't wait.
fl.gif

Quote:
fl.gif
for you and me! Here's another question: if they don't take up quite 3/4 of the bator, how should I do the spacing? Put the cartons in a corner or row touching each other, or with space between?

BTW, just tried the float test (I know I'm early it's day 16) and didn't have any to throw out! I officially have the following: 19 brown leghorns, 12 barred rocks, 14 rhode island reds, 2 quail, and one silkie mix mutt that my hen was so proud of I had to incubate it...that and mommie is just so darn cute.

A bit of concern though: I have added no water to my bator at all so far as the dry hatch method has worked wonders for me to this point. When candling the few i wasn't sure about earlier, I found that most have less air cell than I remember from last time. I added no water at all, so I am a little concerned as there would be no way I could lower humidity if I haven't added any...All babies seemed to be moving well though...I think maybe my temps have been off and on the low side the whole time because babies don't seem as big as I expected but there is very definitely movement and happy little ones so maybe I am worrying too much. thanks for the help, robo!

Okay, whew! Just looked at the egg candling pics page and my air cells seem right on track for day 16. Most of my babies do too but a few seem to be slightly smaller so I think my bator has some cool spots...time to start rotating...

Last edited:
I have 12 eggs developing nicely (around day 13). When I candle again at day 18, what should I see. If they are any dead in there at day 18 how do you tell? I want to put them under my broody around then. Any suggestions on how to do that or can I just give her the chicks after they hatch? Will she take them. Do you wait till they are dry to put them in with her?

Quote:
go to the search bar and type "chicks are here egg candling pics" and it will bring up a link to some phenomenal pics! So far as introducing to the broody, I haven't done it before with eggs or newborns so I hope someone can answer it! Good luck and happy hatching!

Back
Top Bottom