Janet & I DESPERATELY need help.

take the truck, the cages, the check book and the camera! You actually expected any of us to try talk you out of it.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Ok, here he is....all we bought was this one roo.The fella told me he is a RIR, and then another fella looked at him and said he's a New Hampshire(?) Ooooooohhh i don't know.All i know for certain is that he has little itty bitty stubbs were his spurs are gonna be so he's a youngin.

Picture005Small.jpg

Picture007Small-1.jpg

Picture006Small-1.jpg

Turns out, it was a very big swap(?). There were maybe 14 vendors er so and it was frrrriggid cold.All the bunnies looked good as did all the kids but for the most part, it was difficult to find any birds that weren't tore up. Or OOOOOOLD. Every other roo that we saw had spurs more than 3 inches long and all thier feets were a MESS, all tore up and bloody.I seen a fella with roos in these itty bitty narrow wooden boxes, they couldn't even move inside them they were so small. I asked.."what's up with stuffin these roos in these boxes?" and he said.."they'll kill each other , they're fighters". I jist walked away and didn't want to know any more.
I did see some very beautifull pigeons.MMMmmmmmm.............i think i needs a flock !! lol
We're gonna go back next month and see if things look any better.Most critters didn't look all that good and the vendors were all tryin to shove thier criters down yer throats, really pushin them on "the newbie"..ME.
Anywho, Ricky, our first roo,has some issues with holes pecked in his chest and his bottom and what looks like dried blood on his comb.The vendor said he was picked on by older roos because of his young age.I didn't see any bugs on Ricky or that stuff that gets on thier combs so for $3 i figgered i was doin the roo a favor even i had to "put him down" after i got him home.
It was soo funny when we put him in the coop with the girls, they all started competing for his attention.He kept steppin on thier backs and puttin then down(?). He pecks at thier heads and when he aint lookin they sneak up on him and peck his bumm lol Is this normal ?
One of the gilrs laid her egg about an hour after Ricky "got home" so i guess things are ok in the coop ?

Janet and i can't wait o git back to the swap in warmer weather and see if things are a bit better and healthier.
is it common for birds to be all pecked at and unhealthy lookin at these swaps? Stress from travelin ?
Or just plain ole poor care and neglect?

OOOOPS.....
I allmost fergot 'bout Janets nic-nacs.... as you can see her new motife is what else...CHIKENS
yippiechickie.gif

Picture015Small.jpg

How awesome, but I can't believe you only came home with ONE animal!! I would not have been able to resist as well!

He looks like a RIR roo though. New Hampshires are much lighter than him. Looks like he will be a big boy! Once he fills in, he should be beautiful!

He's pretty BUT you shouldn't ever put a new bird straight in with your existing flock. He may be carrying a disease or parasite that can be transmitted to everybody else. Ideally new birds or birds that have been transported (e.g. to a show) should be quarantined for three weeks until it is apparent they are healthy.

Back
Top Bottom