January 2017 Hatch-a-long

Been off the grid for awhile. We have been busy doing poultry shows and not hatching. It's a new year so we thought we'd try our hand at hatching some of our bantam show birds. We have 2 bantam Phoenix and 1 standard light brown egg due to hatch Jan 19th. The light brown will be a surprise. We really hope the bantams hatch. Their mother hen was killed by our dog just a few days ago. It was my daughter's favorite little pet bird. She had super stubby legs, which is not for show, but was totally adorable. We have an auto turner, heat and electric fan setup. We go the dry route until lock down then add water for humidity the last few days. Fingers crossed.

So today is day 6 as of 6:30pm CST. Looks like 30 developing, 2 blood rings and 13 clear so far out of 45 set. Not too shabby! Especially considering I'm a candle-o-holic. Also especially considering I only paid a for a dozen hatching eggs in the first place! Lol. Bless Sheri Minkner she is an absolute angel : ).
I am still holding out on those clears until at least day 10 though. Anyone have many eggs hatch even after being clear still by day 10?

Last edited:
Been off the grid for awhile. We have been busy doing poultry shows and not hatching. It's a new year so we thought we'd try our hand at hatching some of our bantam show birds. We have 2 bantam Phoenix and 1 standard light brown egg due to hatch Jan 19th. The light brown will be a surprise. We really hope the bantams hatch. Their mother hen was killed by our dog just a few days ago. It was my daughter's favorite little pet bird. She had super stubby legs, which is not for show, but was totally adorable. We have an auto turner, heat and electric fan setup. We go the dry route until lock down then add water for humidity the last few days. Fingers crossed.
Welcome!! I"m so sorry about the dog incident. That's got to be tough. I hope her chick hatches!! I do the same as you, keep the humidity down until lock down. It works great for me.

Quote: The dog is lucky he's still alive. He's always been good with the birds but we left the house for about 45 min. to an hour and when we got back it was horrible. My daughter flipped out. This dog even let birds sit on his back and ride along at times. He is not out of sight now and when we leave he's locked outside with limited access no matter what the weather.

The dog is lucky he's still alive.  He's always been good with the birds but we left the house for about 45 min. to an hour and when we got back it was horrible.  My daughter flipped out.  This dog even let birds sit on his back and ride along at times.  He is not out of sight now and when we leave he's locked outside with limited access no matter what the weather.  

I have a dog that is fine supervised but as soon as we leave he'll go after the chickens. Dogs act differently when we are not around.

We tossed in a new bantam and a fresh laid jersey giant egg in so we'll see what we get. The bantams are the only purebreed. Warming up the second incubator for lockdown of the first three eggs in the next week or so.

Back
Top Bottom