January 2017 Hatch-a-long

I know it's a bad picture but at 4am I was just too tired for a perfect pose...lol. and so was Daryl. He did all the work.

One of my mixes from my own flock committed suicide in the egg yesterday. For some reason it thought it needed to pip already and it busted right through a blood vessel and bled out while I was at work :( I opened it up and it looked like it would have been blue so I am guessing the father was the blue Marans.

One of my mixes from my own flock committed suicide in the egg yesterday. For some reason it thought it needed to pip already and it busted right through a blood vessel and bled out while I was at work :( I opened it up and it looked like it would have been blue so I am guessing the father was the blue Marans.

I'm sorry, Sun! That's awful! I've been too scared to open my unhatched/dead egg(s)... It was enough to see "quitters" early on... And I'm in denial, thinking that maybe they'll come back to life somehow! lol I'm skeptical about my batch right now. Tonight at 9pm will be day 21 and with only 2 viable eggs, I'm trying not to get my hopes up... still no pips or peeps from them

Last edited:
OK, yesterday was day 7 and candling shows 17 or 18 out of 18 developing!
wee.gif
My pride of this batch will be SFH, if they make it.
smile.png
Others will be barn yard mix.

I didn't realize you could cross BCM with BR for sex links... since the BCM aren't one pure color?

Also, when it comes to CCL, they will only be auto sexing if the breeder selected for these traits! Too many people don't selectively breed to maintain the good qualities of the breed. And yes, they are known to be flighty... the leg part of legbar comes from leghorn. It can be a minus if you want lap chickens. But it's a plus to avoid predation.

Cute pics of y'all's hatches!
love.gif
Keep 'em coming.

OK, yesterday was day 7 and candling shows 17 or 18 out of 18 developing! :weee  My pride of this batch will be SFH, if they make it. :)  Others will be barn yard mix. 

I didn't realize you could cross BCM with BR for sex links... since the BCM aren't one pure color?

Also, when it comes to CCL, they will only be auto sexing if the breeder selected for these traits! Too many people don't selectively breed to maintain the good qualities of the breed. And yes, they are known to be flighty...  the leg part of legbar comes from leghorn. It can be a minus if you want lap chickens. But it's a plus to avoid predation. 

Cute pics of y'all's hatches! :love  Keep 'em coming.

A dominant black roo with a barred hen will expose the barred genetic in the male offspring. If the roo is lighter colored, you won't be able to see the barring. Here's what my cockerels look like at about 4 weeks.

Mostly like their mama's traits!

Last edited:

Of this hatch, from our 5 Black Sex Link crosses we only hatched 1 hen. Sigh. (See the white sopt on this little guy's head). Its going to get pretty noisy out back in a few weeks. (My Dec 1 hatch, 5/7 that I kept (OEs and BCMs) are cockerels(already crowing!!) of my Dec 27 hatch that I kept (Bieles and BSL), 5/7 cockerels also.... and now this group. Ah well, we have the space for them and good friends with lovely processing equipment, so by the first of June, things should quiet down again.

Is 6 months old a good age to process roos? I will have to have mine processed before they get loud! lol How do you prepare the meat, just like chicken or better for soup?

Of this hatch, from our 5 Black Sex Link crosses we only hatched 1 hen. Sigh. (See the white sopt on this little guy's head). Its going to get pretty noisy out back in a few weeks. (My Dec 1 hatch, 5/7 that I kept (OEs and BCMs) are cockerels(already crowing!!) of my Dec 27 hatch that I kept (Bieles and BSL), 5/7 cockerels also.... and now this group. Ah well, we have the space for them and good friends with lovely processing equipment, so by the first of June, things should quiet down again.

Back
Top Bottom