January 2017 Hatch-a-long

Can I join in? This is the first to hatch on day 20!

Welcome!!
1f423.png
1f601.png
Congratulations!!
1f44f.png
1f44f.png
What breed(s) are you hatching?

Welcome!!
1f423.png
1f601.png
Congratulations!!
1f44f.png
1f44f.png
What breed(s) are you hatching?

They are mixed from my flock. My rooster is from the hatch my daughters school did last spring and I have no clue what he is or which "farm" he came from. Her school nurse provides the eggs for the class rooms and they come from hers and her neighbors flocks. They sent the chicks home with us since she didn't want to add to her flock that year.

They are mixed from my flock. My rooster is from the hatch my daughters school did last spring and I have no clue what he is or which "farm" he came from. Her school nurse provides the eggs for the class rooms and they come from hers and her neighbors flocks. They sent the chicks home with us since she didn't want to add to her flock that year.

Ooh, I love a good mixed surprise! What fun!

The 4 chicks that my broody hatched are all barnyard mixes... They were supposed to be 1) Ayam Cemani x Black Lavender mix... (Looks about right- all black with ayam cemani pigment, very cute) 2) Cream Legbar x lav chochin x olive egger maran (Hatched light grey/lav with feathered feet) 3) Blue Americana x americana? (Hatched looking black with white markings and kinda like marans definitely doesn't have "chipmunk pattern" as described by breeder) 4)Lav Orpington x Sicillian Buttercup (Looks exactly like Chick Number 3 and I've since lost track of which is which lol) I'm thinking a Marans might have fathered chick 3 and 4

The lady I got the eggs from were my quickest bet and closest nearby to get under my broody, but I think she may have mistaken the roosters involved... You get what you get with "Barnyard Mixes" I suppose! She charges more for full breeds as it requires her to pen them separately and they all have their preferred mates

It's funny, I've hatched about 18 eggs from my Ayam Cemani roo, with my white/black EE hens. 17 of those chicks were born looking exactly like ACs. Black EVERYTHING. But yesterday this one hatched....it still has black skin and black leggs, but it's feathers and beak are certainly not black.

I can't wait to see what color it turns out to be - let's hope it's a girl!!!

Oh cool! It's so pretty! And looks like it's skin is still black...
It's funny, I've hatched about 18 eggs from my Ayam Cemani roo, with my white/black EE hens. 17 of those chicks were born looking exactly like ACs. Black EVERYTHING. But yesterday this one hatched....it still has black skin and black leggs, but it's feathers and beak are certainly not black. I can't wait to see what color it turns out to be - let's hope it's a girl!!!

It's funny, I've hatched about 18 eggs from my Ayam Cemani roo, with my white/black EE hens. 17 of those chicks were born looking exactly like ACs. Black EVERYTHING. But yesterday this one hatched....it still has black skin and black leggs, but it's feathers and beak are certainly not black.

I can't wait to see what color it turns out to be - let's hope it's a girl!!!

Oh my! How pretty! Make sure you post pics when she's feathered out.

Hi, folks. I decided that I need some chickens in my life, so I decided to buy a hovabator and try my hand at hatching eggs. Bought some off of EBay, not realizing how badly that can go. Well, I guess beginners luck kicked in. Out of twenty one fertile eggs, I have sixteen beautiful chicks. They hatched out Friday.

I've been following this thread, and all of you have been really inspirational. Even though I've just been lurking, I wanted to thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom