January 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
The outlook for tomorrow’s hatch is not looking very good.
I’ve been checking temp and humidity every two hours today, and just noticed a huge temp spike, up to 110, maybe higher, I didn’t note the exact temp before trying to fix it.
Come to find out the lid some how shorted out, and was running at high and would not turn off. At all. So thankfully I found it now before I went to bed. I replaced the lid with another incubator top and am now hoping that this incident didn’t cook the chicks suppose to hatch in the next day or two.
I’ve seen some posts about young embryos being cooked at high temps, but didn’t see anyone experience spikes with 20 day old eggs to know if their chance of survival is low or not. (These eggs, first they nearly froze from the power outage, now they’ve been cooked! :eek:)
110 is pretty high, but if it was not long enough to cook the embryos, then they should be fine. I read a study from OK that stated higher temps in the last couple of days actually makes the birds more tolerant of high heat exposure throughout their lives.
I've never tried it myself, but I have had heat spikes during incubation and am always amazed at how resilient these creatures are.

I was worried about the chick that needed a full assisted hatch but after ”FA” was put with the other brothers and sisters s/he perked right up and is now carrying on with the lot of them! So thankful the chick survived with the help from BYC assisted hatch article! So 10 out of 10 shipped eggs hatched and are thriving! 100% hatch rate this bunch. A first for me on shipped eggs !
8684D66F-9E75-4DE4-928E-3B27C8AB38B0.jpeg

Things got a little rough this morning, but it looks like everything is on track to being okay again.

Fortunately, BOB is doing pretty well, no problems with it.

The bantam needed some help, but it finished working itself out of the shell. A tiny bit of yolk was still poking out of the belly, about the size of the head of a pearl-topped clothing pin, but the chick is doing pretty well so far.

SF is where trouble really started. SF was doing fine last night but when I went to check this morning, SF had gotten in the furthest possible spot from the heat and was extremely lethargic. I started alternating warming it up in incubator and gently rubbing it for stimulation in my hands. I've gotten SF back to the point where it's acting mostly normal, drank some water with dissolved minerals and sugar. So the outlook is good, but that certainly wasn't part of the plans for this morning. 😅

Uh oh. I had planned to sell most of the chicks from these local brown eggs. Maybe it's because they're the first of the year but they're already tugging at my heartstrings. Each one is promptly declared a "keeper" by my kids and I. Guess 2021 will be the year we get that bigger coop built.

View attachment 2495975
Yea I’m wondering the same with my second batch of 14! I may end up a chicken hoarder yet 😜

Uh oh. I had planned to sell most of the chicks from these local brown eggs. Maybe it's because they're the first of the year but they're already tugging at my heartstrings. Each one is promptly declared a "keeper" by my kids and I. Guess 2021 will be the year we get that bigger coop built.

View attachment 2495975
Aww so cute!! Congrats on the new babies :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom