January 2021 Hatch-A-Long

We have our first out so far! He started to pip yesterday so I was a little worried about him but he finally hatched. It was really cool because he was the first chick we ever hatched and my kids got to watch!

I have 3 more I'm waiting to hatch now out of the original 8. 2 weren't fertile, then 2 were quitters somewhere along the way.

The long chick has been named "Rex". More eggs on the way to start incubating more Ayam Cemanis for a Feb hatch-a-long

chick.jpg

I set the incubator on Jan 1st. 10 eggs only, as both my RIR rooster and Leghorn hens are very young (from 2020) so I wasn't sure.. well I have 10 chicks now. All hatched! I haven't seen such a cross yet, so it will be interesting to see how they turn up. They are all yellow/white now. Now, I did a strange thing which an old man from the village told me - he said when he incubates, after lockdown he turns the eggs manually once a day. I did it and the chicks still hatched. All of them. I, of course, told the old man he is wrong.. He has a lockdown today on his incubator (51 eggs) and I will visit him tomorrow to check if he is turning the eggs manually.

The spotted chick is gorgeous. I'd love one like that in my flock.

Hope the leg issues sort out for you with what you're doing. I have a terrible track record fixing them (splay leg or whatnot). But I've read on BYC it's very possible. I now lean towards culling. :(
I'm only trying because of my kids. It's really unfortunate the humidity jumped, it would have drowned if it hadn't already been zipping.
The spotted one is quite unusual, I have no idea what lead to it. The hen was buff.

We have our first out so far! He started to pip yesterday so I was a little worried about him but he finally hatched. It was really cool because he was the first chick we ever hatched and my kids got to watch!

I have 3 more I'm waiting to hatch now out of the original 8. 2 weren't fertile, then 2 were quitters somewhere along the way.

The long chick has been named "Rex". More eggs on the way to start incubating more Ayam Cemanis for a Feb hatch-a-long

View attachment 2501301

Congratulations on your first hatch 🐣 It’s such an amazing experience for kids 😁😁 And for us ;)

I set the incubator on Jan 1st. 10 eggs only, as both my RIR rooster and Leghorn hens are very young (from 2020) so I wasn't sure.. well I have 10 chicks now. All hatched! I haven't seen such a cross yet, so it will be interesting to see how they turn up. They are all yellow/white now. Now, I did a strange thing which an old man from the village told me - he said when he incubates, after lockdown he turns the eggs manually once a day. I did it and the chicks still hatched. All of them. I, of course, told the old man he is wrong.. He has a lockdown today on his incubator (51 eggs) and I will visit him tomorrow to check if he is turning the eggs manually.
That's a fantastic hatch! I'm so happy for you. :jumpy :ya

As for coloring White leghorns are dominant white. I'd guess these chicks will likely be white, off white, +/- dark spots, with roos having color leakage on the shoulders or hackles.

This is a picture of the dominant white (Polish) cross birds I've had in the past. It started with 2 White Polish x Ameraucana hens. One hen layed blue eggs. I hatched some of her eggs. All white birds pictured are these hens or offspring (including the rooster). These f2 birds were 1/4 White Polish, 1/4 Ameraucana, and 1/2 Black Copper Marans. You can see the consistently of color once Dominant White comes in (trumps all other colors). Anyways it's only 4 birds but that's been my experience.

IMG_20191108_100359431.jpg

IMG_20191017_115115483.jpg

Update on my chicks...
SF (now nicknamed Spooky) and BOB are doing well.
I think BOB is some type of frizzle, as its first wing feathers are kind of up and curving outward.
20210124_144951.jpg
Spooky is not a swedish flower hen like I expected. Has fluff on legs and 5 toes. I noticed MPC also labels salmon faverolle eggs with SF, but the chick is black/dark gray. I guess that could mean its a black faverolle but those seem rare. Having a hard time finding pictures of faverolle chicks that are not "salmon" type.
20210124_145211.jpg
20210124_145217.jpg

Unfortunately, the bantam cochin chick died. While I had some small concerns observing its behavior, I thought the bantam was starting to catch up with and become as active as the other chicks. I guess something was wrong inside of it that caught up to it.

EEEK! I just went into lockdown. These are the first eggs I haven't candled reglularly. I got a new mobile phone case, and it doesn't work as well as the old one. Think the hole is bigger, so I am thinking about buyiing a good one. Anyway they seemed to be delveloping as far I could see. I'm just checking fertiltiy anyway, and just one wasn't fertilised, so I've got seven in lockdown now, because I added two more a day later. I might sell these, as I really don't need more chickens....🤦‍♀️ but I just can't stop myself from hatching them!

20210126_114053.jpg

Meant to update last night while the hatch was in full swing, but we had a cat-related disaster
By which I mean, my cat decided he wanted chicken dinner and knocked the incubator on the floor while I was running errands, during which two chicks got tossed onto the cold wood floor, two eggs were totally smashed (early quitters thankfully), and four of my about-to-hatch eggs died from blood loss and blunt force trauma from hitting the ground.
Luckily! We managed to do an emergency aided hatch and save three unhatched chicks, plus the two near-dead babies that were laying on the floor when I returned home.
We also got a surprise light-colored chick, and I'm not sure i understand where she came from, considering these are BR X EE/BR and BR X EE/BSL cross eggs. Strange coloring aside, shes a little beauty and had a wonderfully strong hatch.

(Those are hot rice socks for extra warmth and a damp towel for when we had to get the incubator back up and running FAST)
20210128_060430.jpg

Back
Top Bottom