Japanese bantam egg production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Owingsia, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    My little Sasha has starting laying!!! Well my question is that I have read and been told she would only lay 1 egg a week. She started two days ago with 3 eggs in the morning and 1 in the afternoon and yesterday she laid another egg.

Does anyone know is this normal or because she just started laying? will she taper off to one or less per week?

She free ranges all day we have two Japanese bantam roosters and only one will jump her. We have over 30 chickens however she is the only female Japanese bantam we have. Her eggs are so small but have a huge yoke and taste great!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Yeah it's normal. Most of the time when it is said that a hen lays x number a week it is an average over a year. There are times when they will lay a lot and times when they don't. A lot when it is hatching time, less when they molt. You pullet, that just started to lay, will lay vigorously in the beginning then will taper off.

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    How old is your Japanese Bantam? Im just curious because I have one, 13 weeks old and was wondering at roughly what age they start laying. I also only have 1 pullet and 3 JB roos. Hmmm might have to get me some more bantams come spring.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    pickin... you should come to the Big E in Mass. in January.
    It's called the Northeast Poultry Congress show.
    The sales area is packed, and people come from far away with empty carriers to buy birds.
    I guess it's the break from the holidays, and winter.
    You'll have a blast!

5. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    Sasha is about 7 months. We did nothing to speed up egg laying and wanted them to lay when they were ready. We have two JB roos and one hen. I want more JB however we have plenty of chickens. We have 30 hens and I dont think we need more but my wife will want more.

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Hmmm. I will definitely look into that[​IMG].

7. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I will *try* to remind you when I see a thread for it.
    But, I am old and stoopid [​IMG]

8. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
  9. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I have some.. They are pretty good the first season and I have many Broodies after that. :)

10. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Our Japanese Bantam began laying at about 20 weeks. She has consistently given us around five eggs per week. She is currently broody at about 8 months of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by