Japanese bantam egg production?

Owingsia

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Saluda VA
My little Sasha has starting laying!!! Well my question is that I have read and been told she would only lay 1 egg a week. She started two days ago with 3 eggs in the morning and 1 in the afternoon and yesterday she laid another egg.

Does anyone know is this normal or because she just started laying? will she taper off to one or less per week?

She free ranges all day we have two Japanese bantam roosters and only one will jump her. We have over 30 chickens however she is the only female Japanese bantam we have. Her eggs are so small but have a huge yoke and taste great!

Yeah it's normal. Most of the time when it is said that a hen lays x number a week it is an average over a year. There are times when they will lay a lot and times when they don't. A lot when it is hatching time, less when they molt. You pullet, that just started to lay, will lay vigorously in the beginning then will taper off.

My little Sasha has starting laying!!! Well my question is that I have read and been told she would only lay 1 egg a week. She started two days ago with 3 eggs in the morning and 1 in the afternoon and yesterday she laid another egg.

Does anyone know is this normal or because she just started laying? will she taper off to one or less per week?

She free ranges all day we have two Japanese bantam roosters and only one will jump her. We have over 30 chickens however she is the only female Japanese bantam we have. Her eggs are so small but have a huge yoke and taste great!
How old is your Japanese Bantam? Im just curious because I have one, 13 weeks old and was wondering at roughly what age they start laying. I also only have 1 pullet and 3 JB roos. Hmmm might have to get me some more bantams come spring.

pickin... you should come to the Big E in Mass. in January.
It's called the Northeast Poultry Congress show.
The sales area is packed, and people come from far away with empty carriers to buy birds.
I guess it's the break from the holidays, and winter.
You'll have a blast!

Sasha is about 7 months. We did nothing to speed up egg laying and wanted them to lay when they were ready. We have two JB roos and one hen. I want more JB however we have plenty of chickens. We have 30 hens and I dont think we need more but my wife will want more.

pickin... you should come to the Big E in Mass. in January.
It's called the Northeast Poultry Congress show.
The sales area is packed, and people come from far away with empty carriers to buy birds.
I guess it's the break from the holidays, and winter.
You'll have a blast!
Hmmm. I will definitely look into that
big_smile.png

Our Japanese Bantam began laying at about 20 weeks. She has consistently given us around five eggs per week. She is currently broody at about 8 months of age.

Back
Top Bottom