Japanese Bantam Thread!

i love japanese
big_smile.png
i currently have grey japanese (who i think are pretty nice) and black tailed white japanese (long legged, so not sq). I have a few photos on photobucket ill put up, not the best pics, but you get the idea!

this is my breeding trio
chicken030.jpg

chicken032.jpg

chicks from my breeding trio:
Cockerals
chickensdec09020.jpg

chickensdec09024.jpg

pullet
026-1.jpg
I have grey japs and my roo has a rose comb ,do some have rose combs or is he mixed with something else .?

most likly it was from something else because single combs are ressesive( have to have all copies to be single) if you keep breeding you can breed it out.

I know my hen has consistently laid 13 eggs before brooding and sat on them all. Is that unusual? Out of them all only 2 seem to be unfertilized both times and the first hatch she lost them all to fire ants so I can't say how many she would have abandoned on hatch day. The second time she abandoned only 2 that would have hatched if not for getting chilled. I guess she figured 9 hatchlings was enough.

My first chicks from my japs have hatched. All 3 that hatched have feathers on their legs. Is this a big deal, will they still have stubs when they are older? The 3 hatched were all from the same hen, I have eggs from another hen due in a few weeks, if those chicks have feather stubs too does that mean that the rooster or both the rooster and hens are carrying the genes to make them?

My baby has been attacked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (photos)
My favorite JB roo is in the recovery pen, after a horrible attack from one mean Guinea
I can't exactly see the actual main wound on his head but I'm thinking the dang Guinea severed the base of the comb near his neck & scraped some flesh off the last comb point & skull as well
Don't want to move it too much due to the amount of blood.
& poked a shallow hole in his back, near the base of his tail
barnie.gif
hit.gif
It happened at some point today & I could only catch him @ dusk. Horrible site indeed my handsome man covered in red running in the snow

After cleaning him up as best I could for right now I ended up having to corn starch him to get the bleeding to stop. Going out in the AM so I will be getting some real clotting stuff & a few other items.
This comes completely out of the blue, yest I saw a guinea hold onto one of the hen's tail feathers, but it was right @ feeding time, so I dismissed it, as they ALL get into little tizzies when it comes to food. Well this guinea will now become food.
somad.gif

Anyone else have any similar situations? How did you help your hen/roo out?

Pardon his comb - he evaded me on vaseline day. He'll be inside for a few days to recover then will get slathered up real good.

Oh my! Your poor Roo, I hope he is ok. I have never had a problem like this so I have no advise. Did you post it in the emergency section?

Back
Top Bottom