Japanese Bantam Thread!

Congrats inthesticks broodys r awesome
Thanks! Now I have 2!! the first one started the 9th & the 2nd one started the 13th! My 2nd lady decided to sit on 2 & begin, so I gathered up a few more of the JB eggs I had inside & gave them to her. My 1st lady was trying to sit on 16eggs!!! I was able to get 2 from her & put in my incubator(she did not want me taking any!!!!)... I'll either put them back @ lockdown or once they hatch go n stick em under her. So exciting!

A proud little mama of 9 new little babies. And my other little hen that looks just like her has 12 eggs due in about a week.
Awww, how adorable!!!! How many did she have under her to begin with? For your 2nd one, does she normally try for 12 or so when she finally goes broody? Curious sine I just got my first 2 broody ladies ever! as you can see above, one is on 14 & the other 8.

Ok I got her mom an father from Michel waddle it came from to JB but she haves a molted line but they mostly make molted chicks
smile.png
Some of my young JBs have a similar look, in regards to the coloring - That would be very nice to get some molted ones from my bunch!

Tail feathers
It still looks young enough to not have any curled tail feathers come in yet. Does have a large red comb -- I am leaning more toward a cockerel
hmm.png

four H lover -
fl.gif
that you have yourself a fast developing hen instead!

Last edited:
The legs are really long are u sure its not a hatchery bird or half colombain Plymouth Rock ??????
Of course they're hatchery quality birds..I bought them at Orscheln! lol Some have shorter legs, some longer. I couldn't care less about perfection..I just love the breed.

[COLOR=4B0082]Thanks! Now I have 2!! the first one started the 9th & the 2nd one started the 13th! My 2nd lady decided to sit on 2 & begin, so I gathered up a few more of the JB eggs I had inside & gave them to her. My 1st lady was trying to sit on 16eggs!!! I was able to get 2 from her & put in my incubator(she did not want me taking any!!!!)... I'll either put them back @ lockdown or once they hatch go n stick em under her. So exciting![/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]Awww, how adorable!!!! How many did she have under her to begin with? For your 2nd one, does she normally try for 12 or so when she finally goes broody? Curious sine I just got my first 2 broody ladies ever! as you can see above, one is on 14 & the other 8.[/COLOR]
thats so cool! hey u might wanna move the feed and water a little further away from them so they get up and excersice

[COLOR=4B0082]Some of my young JBs have a similar look, in regards to the coloring - That would be very nice to get some molted ones from my bunch![/COLOR]

[COLOR=4B0082]It still looks young enough to not have any curled tail feathers come in yet. Does have a large red comb -- I am leaning more toward a cockerel :/ [/COLOR]
[COLOR=4B0082]four H lover -:fl that you have yourself a fast developing hen instead![/COLOR]
I do have a hen that is better and the same age !!!!!

[COLOR=4B0082]Thanks! Now I have 2!! the first one started the 9th & the 2nd one started the 13th! My 2nd lady decided to sit on 2 & begin, so I gathered up a few more of the JB eggs I had inside & gave them to her. My 1st lady was trying to sit on 16eggs!!! I was able to get 2 from her & put in my incubator(she did not want me taking any!!!!)... I'll either put them back @ lockdown or once they hatch go n stick em under her. So exciting![/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]Awww, how adorable!!!! How many did she have under her to begin with? For your 2nd one, does she normally try for 12 or so when she finally goes broody? Curious sine I just got my first 2 broody ladies ever! as you can see above, one is on 14 & the other 8.[/COLOR]
She had 11 eggs and 10 hatched. Unfortunately i lost 1 chick 2days after they hatched because it got seperated from the hen. So she has nine and they are doing great. My other hen has 12 eggs they should hatch in a couple of days. I let them sit on however many they choose to. So i will keep u posted on how many hatch. Sorry it took so long to answer back... Been crazy busy! I also have an EE bantam that started sitting 4 days ago. She has about 15 eggs under her. Its broody city around here LOL

thats so cool! hey u might wanna move the feed and water a little further away from them so they get up and excersice
LOL that lasted for all of 1/2 a day!! I put them there because I was scared that they might abandon the eggs :/ (first time broody around here) They go out into the pen area & eat n drink then back into the coop. I was worrying because I have 4 hens & 3 roos for my JBs & with 2 of the ladies out of the pic for sitting I didn't know how the boys would react when they saw them outside the coop. Don't want anything to break them from their broodiness!
I do have a hen that is better and the same age !!!!!
wootwoot! There is still hope!
She had 11 eggs and 10 hatched. Unfortunately i lost 1 chick 2days after they hatched because it got seperated from the hen. So she has nine and they are doing great. My other hen has 12 eggs they should hatch in a couple of days. I let them sit on however many they choose to. So i will keep u posted on how many hatch. Sorry it took so long to answer back... Been crazy busy! I also have an EE bantam that started sitting 4 days ago. She has about 15 eggs under her. Its broody city around here LOL
No worries. Thank you for the info. I ended up sneaking a few more & left 10 with her. Now I just resort them every evening because they steal each others eggs & switch spots lol Even with either of them puffing up - the 16 eggs weren't all covered enough & already starting to develop. I'm almost surprised that no one else has gone broody over here-
We ended up loosing most of the flock this past Sat. A VERY LARGE red fox attacked a between 7-740ish in the morning(must have been scoping the area for at least a few days, as it knew to wait till daylight when the majority of my chickens jump/flap over their fencing to go graze) lost all but 2 standard sized hens & 2 roosters & lost 1 of my 4 JB roos. Had 20 3mth old easter egger chickens & now only 3 (& I think 2 are cockerels) lost 2 silkies & just have one lone lady, who now hangs with the 3mth old ones

Looking forward to reading the updates

Back
Top Bottom