Japanese Bantam Thread!

This is my White Blactails . They are young, only about 28 weeks in this pic.

The actual name of the variety is Black Tailed White not white blacktails. Beyond that, these are some very long-legged Japs. Essentially if you can see under a Jap the legs are too long.

Oh they are nice looking. I am trying to educate myself on the breeds that look interesting to me and on genetics so when I get chickens again I will have a better idea of what I am looking for and at.
wink.png
Last time it was all willy nilly what ever got brought home.

3/4 inch for a breeding cock is what I consider long. I've currently got cockerels with shorter legs than some of my pullets. These little ones are from SQ stock and will be culled if they don't meet SOP. I'm not interested in producing birds that won't win in this breed. They are not part of my layer flock. This group will have their first show in Oct. we've got time to figure out who stays and who goes. The little cockerel I posted the pic of has a good top line, head, and rear. His tail set is right, and he looks promising. He's got time.

ETA... Even though he is standing way too tall in this pic, his top line actually is quite wonderful.

Have you actually ever measured a shank? It appears that your "promising cockerel" already has shanks longer than 3/4 inch. That still looks like a white feather [stub] sticking out of his right leg.

Also, I value your opinion and would love critiques on my birds. I'll try to get better pics of this one as well as a couple other "possibles" if you wouldn't mind giving me a harsh eval of them. There are currently very few Japs showing in this area and the ones here are not very good. That's why we ordered eggs.
smile.png

In your post prior to this one you pointed out why I was wrong about the very young cockerel you posted a picture of. That being the case why on earth would you want my opinion about anything else?

The actual name of the variety is Black Tailed White not white blacktails. Beyond that, these are some very long-legged Japs. Essentially if you can see under a Jap the legs are too long.
Thanks NYREDS: They came from Cackle Hatchery. Time will tell , but they are smaller than the 4 year olds I have from the local farm store. I have a time keeping chickens on the farm. Predators galore. Anything red goes first , but anything white doesn't seem to be as attractive to any but the snakes, and the hoot owls.

In your post prior to this one you pointed out why I was wrong about the very young cockerel you posted a picture of. That being the case why on earth would you want my opinion about anything else?

Because you are one of the few that actually knows this breed and will not hesitate to give a harsh critique. On my show birds, I want harsh critiques because sugar coating it won't improve my breeding program. The cockerel I posted does appear to have feathering on his legs in that pic, but I checked again and he does not. Currently, his shanks measure less than the width of my forefinger. He is one of the three in that color I'm leaning toward. His type is a bit better than one of the others with shorter legs.

The last time I checked this site no one seemed to care about proper type. I'm glad to hear that someone is interested in proper type.
Terry

I moved into chickens from the dog show world, so breeding quality animals for competition is very important to me. However, I also appreciate and respect the pet side of animal husbandry. We have both pet chickens and show birds. The type and quality of the Japs in my area leave a lot to be desired. People can't be expected to be able to tell quality breeding from pet breedings if all they see at shows are long legged birds that stand like OEGBs.

Back
Top Bottom