Japanese Bantam Thread!

Keeping a rooster in a small plastic box for several months... so small he can't even hold his tail upright, and causign him to become deformed, seems a tad cruel. How come you could not get him a cage or make him a bigger place to live during that time?

I recommend you invest in proper chicken housing.... which has enough space for the birds, before you start buying more chickens, breeding and showing them in the future.

There are some good threads on this site about coop design and the space needs of chickens. Maybe a good idea to read through a few.

Yes it is a little cruel, and other than the tail being held crookedly he is perfectly normal. However, I do not get a lot of support at home with my chickens. My siblings don't care and my dad would just love to cook them all up, my mom though, seems to support me. So doing things for my chickens is kind of like behind my dad's back, he knows about it, but l try not to get him to think about it. I have Cocolo( my jap) in the run, he has it all to himself, but misses having a flock, l am getting some more bantams(hopefully soon) and he will have a flock in another month or two when they are old enough to stay outside. As far as housing, l have drawn up some plans for a small coop that will easily fit three or four bantams( even with a foot tall tail) that they will stay in at night and in winter, it even has a bottom part where they can get into the sunlight.

4 week old lap chicken, no red/pink in the little comb yet. Think it's safe to bet on pullet for this BTW jap? I'd hate to lose my med-drama watching partner to a case of crowing.
love.gif

I agree, definitely a pullet. One of the many great things about the Japanese is that you can actually tell gender (without vent sexing) about 3 days-week after they're born.

Roosters start developing their combs very quickly, but the hens don't really start developing completely until 4-6 months.

That's great to know, thanks for that kernel of knowledge! This is my first jap, luck of the draw from a banty bin. Poor thing didn't do so well after the third day, my husband and I had to intervene when the chick stopped eating and wouldn't move on its own. Now its become quite the pet after all that handling. I'm really enjoying the personality of this breed, I think next year I might add a few more of these sweet birds to the flock. :)

Anyone have any photos of what a Japanese Bantam with the colouration of a wild jungle fowl looks like? What would they call this colour?

So black chest, and red and gold hackles and saddle.. but with yellow legs. I like that colour and am trying to create it in my Japanese Bantams by crossing different colours together...

Back
Top Bottom