Japanese Bantam Thread!

Can Somebody Help Me. I was sold a total of 4 chickens .. the first too were sold to me as Serama's .. no misunderstanding .. the 2nd two sold from a different person but as Serama's as well ( not very good english from 2nd seller) they are blossoming and the more they grow the more I doubt the 2nd two are Serama but maybe Japanese Bantams. AAANNNNDD now that I look at these photos I am uncertain about the first two I was sold as well lol. PLEASE help set me straight..
Cutiepie.jpg
Capone.jpg
Gunsmoke.jpg
Dahlia.jpg

Can Somebody Help Me. I was sold a total of 4 chickens .. the first too were sold to me as Serama's .. no misunderstanding .. the 2nd two sold from a different person but as Serama's as well ( not very good english from 2nd seller) they are blossoming and the more they grow the more I doubt the 2nd two are Serama but maybe Japanese Bantams. AAANNNNDD now that I look at these photos I am uncertain about the first two I was sold as well lol. PLEASE help set me straight..View attachment 1161491 View attachment 1161493 View attachment 1161488 View attachment 1161490
They look like seramas to my barely trained eye, though I thought yellow legs were more prevalent vs the very pale whites of the lot. I don’t see much Japanese in them beyond common ancestory, the black being the strongest, unless they were crossed in further generations back. All look relatively small and petite, the older rooster is particularly nicely colored and shaped. I’d be more concerned with old English game Bantam crossing, something inthe faces of the first and third seem off.

Here is a link to the limited serama standard available to compare your birds against, be they show or pet quality.

http://www.seramacouncilofnorthamer...rican-serama-standard-and-incage-judging.html

Last edited:
Well I have 3 fertilized and growing eggs currently incubating from the Older rooster and the 1st hen in the line of pics .. 2 more awaiting confirmation. I have heard the same about the yellow legs be along the lines of the standard judging. I have only been dabbling in chickens for a little while now.. am a LVT though so I do have a fair amount of knowledge on the species. Thank you for your input.. I will check out that site.

IMG_20171002_184657.jpg
IMG_20171001_112408~2.jpg
IMG_20171001_112402.jpg
IMG_20170930_072710.jpg
Is this boy a mix?. I'm beginning to think that Hastings( OEG bantam gold duckwing ) got to Mae my gray Japanese bantam hen. He's got white legs. His mama had dusky yellow so did his father Negi... Hastings legs are the only white ones on the farm.
IMG_20171001_112408~2.jpg
IMG_20171001_112402.jpg
IMG_20170930_072710.jpg

Last edited:
I have a flock of 3 pullets, a Polish, a Phoenix, and a Jap. I was taking them all to my county fair this August and as my dad was putting them into the dog carrier, my only little Jap flew out of his hands into the bushes. We were late and after searching in the shrubs for almost an hour, we had to give up,:hit leaving my mom and little sister to hunt for her.
I was quite anxious for her as I was settling all my other birds in at the fair. Finally, my dad comes up to me with a relieved look on his face. "They found her " he says. :wee
A few minutes later, my tiny black bird, all wrapped in a towel, was dumped into my arms and I got her all comfy and settled into fair.
Believe it or not, my tiny Jap won Champion in single comb clean legged Bantam this year, along with my champion Rosecomb hen.
My Jap was quickly renamed Mira, short for Miracle, and was housed with the "show birds" and got special treats, like mealworms.
Nice and happy now. Highly recommend this breed! :love

Back
Top Bottom