Japanese Bantam Thread!

Attachments

• 20171218_124458.jpg
    20171218_124458.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 9
Yes, I have only hatched bantam eggs. My standard eggs never hatch. They have chicks inside I have looked after it was obviously too long and not alive. Still had yolk but otherwise looked fully developed. Hes only rooster with the standards i have two show chickens (one hen one roo,) in their own run by themselves.
That is unusual, you might want to share your full experience and set up on the big incubation thread, someone there who maybe using the same tools might have better insight. Maybe something is happening at lock down, either shrinkwrapping or growing too large to turn in the egg and pip.

I have really enjoyed this thread and all the great photos included. I would like to find a source for some mottled Japanese bantam eggs for later this spring (late Feb - March) and wondered if anyone might be able to assist me in this.

Do japanese bantams do good roosting or are they ground birds like silkies and also are they good at avoiding preditors and can they handle rainy weather

Meet dodger. . JMB..
Do japanese bantams do good roosting or are they ground birds like silkies and also are they good at avoiding preditors and can they handle rainy weather
Um, i havw a rooster hes fine in rain cannot stand the snow..umm, i know hes not good at protecting hens because a cooper hawk got one of my old englisg hens but he avoids shady tree areas now. I think he avoids predators good he notices squirrels or any neighbors he crows like a dog will bark at stuff that he sees and stuff and doesn't know what to think of squirrels kind of stands stil like a statue just recently started flapping his wings at them. I wouldn't have them in a huge predator infested area..or for solid purpose to breed or protect the hens.

Attachments

• 20171230_134651.jpg
    20171230_134651.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 5
Mine are very good at roosting, even my shortest legged pullets and big tailed boys. They struggled a little when they were very small, though they were my first to try to roost. But as full grown birds they have no problems with getting about 3+ feet off the floor to the top bar.

As for rain, mine don’t go out in bad weather much, but they stay pretty clean afterwards too. Only the very edges of their wings get dingy. Even my white cockerel manages to stay rather tidy looking.

With all my problems with predators this year, I’ve not lost a single Jap to the hawks or coons or dogs. My other breeds cannot boast that fact. Even my most recent loss of an OEGB pullet to a hawk in my run, my Japs were all found safe and sound hiding in a nest box.

I have really enjoyed this thread and all the great photos included. I would like to find a source for some mottled Japanese bantam eggs for later this spring (late Feb - March) and wondered if anyone might be able to assist me in this.
I don’t have any mottled birds, only btw, btb and black. I’m tempted to order some mottled chicks from Ideal Poultry but my last order was insanely heavy on male bantam chicks, 17 of 20 were male. But they are of very nice quality, at least in my opinion. So if you do decide on day olds instead of eggs, order extras.

Back
Top Bottom