Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
Hello all - i am setting some eggs this week and am incubating some Japanese batam eggs. Any tips on incubating them specifically would be appreciated - tips - temp - humidity - etc. Above and beyond the basics of incubating ...Thanks!

Keep in mind, this is just me, not recommended by anyone else. incubating is the same. I am more prone, however to help a Japanese chick out of the egg than other breeds. I'm sure you've seen the discussion that "you don't want the weak ones in the flock anyway". However, we are trying to hatch chicks with a disability here (short legs) that I think really affects their hatching abilities. I never go in early, but if one pips over 24 hrs without zipping, or starts to zip and quits, I usually give it a hand. Frequently they are the short legged ones. Once again, that is just me, you can take it or leave it.

Quote:
Thank you very much - that makes sense - and the hens and the rooster- expecially - are very short legged . I will take that into account!
smile.png

Hello, I am looking into getting some Japanese bantams, I know this may be off topic, but I need help. I am looking into buying a rooster but I want to make sure it is a Japanese bantam. he is not all white with just a black tail. I was going to post up a photo but the site isnt letting new members post photos. If you email me at [email protected] I can send you a photo that the guy gave me. I just dont want to take a drive for a breed that isnt what I want
smile.png

Thank you, Brianna

Briana,you should be able to email me the picture by clicking on the email link under my name and attaching the picture. If that doesn't work, send me a pm and we'll get connected.

I have a broody silkie, I have put 6 eggs under her.... 4 are from my Japanese Bantams (2 grey hens & a btw roo) and the other 2 are from my silkies. Can't WAIT to see what hatches out.
smile.png

So I may have a few chicks available, since this is just a test run.

WEll i set some Japanese bantam eggs on Valentines day - candled and they ALL are going strong!

Had an off question here - if you had two roosters - one had the more appropriate short legs but a longer back - and the other had longer legs but the correct shorter back and outline - which would you keep for breeding? Which is easier to breed out - the long legs or a long back?

Inkheart, in order to answer this question, I need to know if you know and understand about the lethal short leg gene? You cannot breed out the long legs because they cannot have a pair of short leg genes (die in the shell) Therefore, every hatch will long leg chicks to deal with. That being said, in Japanese, even the ones with "long" legs have shorter legs than say, an OEG bantam. You really don't want that type of legginess in your Japanese. Then to make it even more complicated, there are shorter or longer leg lengths even with the short leg gene. As far as which is easier to breed out, unless the long leg jap is really long, like OEG, I would breed for type otherwise and go with the better type. Some breeders will never breed a long legged Japanese, but when you're getting started, you have to use what you have to work with. Another solution would be to hatch and raise from both roosters and see which one gave you the best chicks.

Quote:
Thank you - my friend who gave me these eggs to hatch - has some extra roosters from a hatch last summer and said if i wanted to maybe get started i could have one of the two. I personally was going to go with the more "typey " roo with the longer legs as he is very typey - well in my limited expertise obviously LOL. But coming from show dogs i very much understand the concept of type and outline - and both of these the longer legged roo has .

I would like to see example pictures of the different leg lengths on the birds if anyone has them? I have no idea where my little roo stands in the 'ideals' and 'standards' of a JB? I think he's quite gorgeous

Also... my grey hens JB have the wrong leg color, they are grey/green and not the yellow. What would be best to do to breed that out?

Back
Top Bottom