Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
OK, go to page 33 to outback hatcher's post. Outback, I'm not picking on you, just need an example. go to the 4th picture. This rooster has long legs, the hen appears to have short legs. As japman points out in a later post, bred with short legged hens, he is still a keeper.

Here is one of my males (click to see full size) on a table. Most of the pictures in a pen on shavings, you can't see the legs.

Does anyone have tips on breeding this bird?
How long should the legs be in centimeters?
Would it be okay to breed them if they had weird looking legs?
I've been told that they might have scaly mites or something like that.
How would you introduce new colors into them to make a project color?
How do you encourage them to breed?

Who on here is a breeder?

Last edited:
No offence if I missed anyone, but the only Japanese breeder I have recognized on here is japman. I hope to be able to call myself a breeder some day, but I am far from that. At this point I can say that I raise Japanese Bantams. I surely don't know everyone who has posted on here, so I guess anyone who wants to claim that title will have to step forward.

I bought some of my birds from a wonderful lady in Georgia on BYC last year. Her birds are gorgeous! I lost 2 of our BTW hens to the cold this year, and my grey roo didn't go in the coop our last big snow and froze in a puddle
sad.png

I figured I wouldn't have had to worry about them and cold snaps in the south, but this was the worse winter ever... I lost many birds for some reason.
sad.png

Is that roo standing in the picture? His legs are so short he looks like he's sitting? WOW! That is 'short' legs then.

Jen you are very kind in suggesting that I am a breeder. We are all, 'as doctor's say practicing'. I like the Black Tailed White male and females that Jen has posted. The male is of good type. Notice he is low to the ground and looks like he is sitting when in actual fact he is probably standing as tall as he can.
Jen, I do notice a little brown showing on the male. It may be colored by the sun or it may be brown that can cause real problems.
Just an observation.
Terry

Just sort of out of the blue - i would love to see some pics of good examples of Mottled and the Black tailed buff - if any one has any?
BTW - candled my eggs last night - all the little Japanese Bantams are crusiing right along! For now
fl.gif

Wanted to share a picture of Ginko, he's my BTW roo. I think he looks pretty good, maybe a little too long legged, but he's shorter then my grey hens.

14084_ginko.jpg

Back
Top Bottom