Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
im interested in getting some japanese bantams. i would like to get some very good quality birds. i show old english now but would like japanese as well to show. where is a good place to get hatching eggs or chicks from. any help would be appreciated. i havent really decided on a variety so just let me know what you have. thanks

Great video Caroline!

Hoping my eggs make it here alright and I have a good hatch.
fl.gif

Picking up some babies this afternoon locally. 5 of them. Supposedly from good stock, but ya never know! Should be fun anyway
smile.png
I'll post pictures later today.

Awesome. I hope you will have a great hatch too.
smile.png

Most of the Japs except the juveniles and 2 hens are at the fair as of today. It is judged by APA and ABA regulations and by a APA judge. lots of japs there. so some good competition.

Looks like about 50 Japs... so we will see how we do.

they had some nice black roos... must expand the varieties I think next year.
smile.png

Quote:
Must everything you do be so good?................................................................................chrisf

I just randomly got a breeding pair of black tailed buff japanese bantams....... I love them. A man gave them to me.
smile.png
Hansel and Gretel. i will have to put up pics. And Does anyone kow how much you sell BTB Jap chicks for? I heard they were rare. And they both have a sort of feather problem......... they have been pecked at by the past owners other chickens, anyone know what i could put on them to help the feather growth faster? PLEASE don't say Blue Kote. I have looked all over already for it. Anything else? Organic?

Chickenlovefever, I have heard adding extra protein to their diet helps them regrow feathers faster since feathers are made up primarily of protein. Something I read said crushed cat food added tomthe feed provides much extra protein since it contains animal based proteins. Dog food can't be used since it uses plant based proteins such as found in chicken feed. Don't know if this is what u were looking for, but thought I would offer!

I have recently acquired a pair of btb Japanese bantams. They are beautiful birds, though I think my roo is a little gender confused. He likes to make the "I just laid an egg!" call. ( buck buck bagaaaak!! In chicken). Any ideas when the female should begin laying? She is supposedly 6 mos but shows no sign of being interested in laying. Any advice for a japanses bantam newbie?

Any advice on where I might be able to find hatching eggs in the possible future? And what they should cost?

I sell hatching eggs and I am sure others do too... I charge about $1-2 an egg, 6 egg min plus shipping and packing materials.

I am not sure what others charge. shipping can be hard on the eggs.

Its easier for me to sell a mixed batch of what ever is laid over 2-3 day period...

The girls lay when they feel like it and they have periods of time when they do it.

For example out of 3 mottled hens sometimes we will go in and have 2 eggs, some times 1, and somedays none.

Your hen may lay soon or in another month or so.

I have another hen she lays for a week and off a week.

then i have 2 hens that lay every day almost.

Back
Top Bottom