Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
Quote:
I know, right? My LFs took until 12 weeks before we could tell. My 4 week old D'Uccles chicks I can already tell for all but 2. Now I just need to figure out what to do with extra roos!!

i have the last of my chicks going on fridat to a camp/educational center
smile.png
its nice that they will be going there.

I will be left with one btb jap pullet chick
smile.png
1 mille fleur bantam cochin (hope its a girl), and 2 silkie chicks - that were for 4-hers but if they dont want them i have to decide if i want silkies or not. all the rest of the mixed bantam chicks have a home. YEA!

As a newcomer to the whole chicken thing, I may be concerned about nothing, but in the event it is something serious, figured I'd run it by some experts ... Today I noticed this large "hump" or protrusion on the chest of one of my Japanese Bantam hens. I hadn't spotted this before, and none of my other three birds have this "shape" to them. It's not just her feathers, it's an actually bump. Hopefully, the two photos attached show what I'm talking about. Is this something to be concerned about? (They birds are about 4 or 5 months old at this point, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any comments, advice, assistance anyone can offer. I crossposted this to the Health/Diseases/Emergencies thread (hopefully there aren't any stringent rules about cross-posting, if so, I'm sorry!).

Thanks,
George

105519_img_0410.jpg

105519_img_0441.jpg

Thats what I was thinking. of all my birds only the barnie chicks do that. then the next morning its back to normal. though the marans chicks in the same pen dont do the same thing.

Mine look identical after pigging out on treats. In fact, she's done it more lately. Maybe fattening up to get ready to brood? I'll have some chicks apparently in three weeks. My pullet is sitting on four eggs right now. She and her blue Cochin bantam nest mate were stealing eggs from each other this afternoon. Silly girls!! It was funny watching them try to roll eggs from underneath each other while trying not to lift far enough up off their eggs to let them get stolen. The JB won, but she is the dominant hen.

Back
Top Bottom