japanese bantam

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nicholaschickens, Jul 30, 2010.

1. nicholaschickens

nicholaschickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    hello
    i have had a bit of trouble of the past couple of days i was hatching chicks and sadly the dog got in this morning and killed them [​IMG] but i was hatching them for this bantam i have got (the same breed) they are japanese bantams but the owners have said that they it was a cockerel but he looks more like a hen because he has small wattles and he hasn't got a tail like other cockreles its more like a hen and he is ten weeks old can anyone help.?[​IMG]

2. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Pictures please?

3. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    My avatar is of 2 japanese BTW ROOSTERS. See below for closer views

[​IMG]
    July 2010

[​IMG]
    July 2010

[​IMG]
    These were taken a few months back, they were born in April and this pict was probably from May/early June

It's not hard to tell the difference between the hens and roosters, here's a good link to compare:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/japanese/21968

4. nicholaschickens

nicholaschickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    well i have just found out that it is a girl becuse i have two other japanese bantams a boy and a girl and the cockerel tyed to mate the other japanese bantam that i thought was a boy but also she i nearly 11 weeks old what age should i start to tranfere her over to layers pellets because it say that in my book that they are P.O.L at 16 to 20 weeks so should i start to transfere her over now or what because she is i think fully grown because she i the same size as the other one i have got and she is in lay so what do i do can someone help me please and when do you think i could put her in with the balck ones because she seen them today do you think that i shoe gradually let them see eachother and gradually put her on layers pellets aswell and after a week put her in with the others for good. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by