1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Japanese Beetle trap?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ninabeast, Jul 9, 2011.

1. ninabeast

ninabeast Songster

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I have 12-week old chicks, my first flock, and I have been aching to feed them tons and tons and tons of Japanese beetles when they began to invade my garden (the beetles, not the chicks). Does anyone have a suggestion for a good Japanese Beetle trap that would capture lots, and still leave them edible for the chicks? (I am assuming this stipulation lets out the tried-and-true beer trap...)

Thanks!

2. Buckets of water with a little alfalfa added. Empty them out everyday or they'll STINK! At night, either a bug light with wide grates or just take a light and hang it over a bucket of water.

3. hannakat

hannakat Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    We buy the traps sold in stores. They are just bags attached to a holder with a pheromone to attract them. We've had raccoons come along and rip the bags down to eat the beetles so you have to get to them before the coons find them. I never tried feeding them to the chickens....ummmm.

4. oxfordethan

oxfordethan In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  5. oxfordethan

oxfordethan In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    oops. That's a stink bug trap...they eat Japanese beetles![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by