Japanese beetles.

I don't know whether it is the result but since I planted my blackberry bushes along the chicken coop, there are less of them. The girls like to hide under them in the shade and pick off the beetles as they come to the blackberries. Of course the chickens get any blackberry below the knees but that still leaves plenty for me and it also reduces the number of beetles eating my other crops. Win win. Does the milky spore work well? I bought some but haven't put it out yet.

Now, you've got a win/win situation going there. You've planted a trap crop that gives you and the chickens fruit, as well as giving them shade and protection from predators. Your trap crop is perennial, and your chickens keep it weeded and fertilized. I have some grape vines that need to get planted. I hope to set up a similar situation with them.

I don't know whether it is the result but since I planted my blackberry bushes along the chicken coop,  there are less of them.   The girls like to hide under them in the shade and pick off the beetles as they come to the blackberries.   Of course the chickens get any blackberry below the knees but that still leaves plenty for me and it also reduces the number of beetles eating my other crops.  Win win.    Does the milky spore work well?  I bought some but haven't put it out yet.   

The DH loves the stuff... I had a problem area we actually called "grub alley" lol... I wanted to grow stuff there, and tried last year... Got one tomato and a bunch of goatheads ; every shovelful had probably 10 grubs :( We used it and not a SINGLE grub when I planted this spring; already pulled 14 quarts of beans from the plot.

I didn't believe him at first lol, but yes. It works hands down. :)

Back
Top Bottom