Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Genetics (Plumage mutations)

Quote:
Coturnix coturnix is the common quail

Coturnix japonica is the japanese quail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Quail

DANGEST THING ABOUT MIGRATORY BIRDS... THEY CAN HAVE 1 HECK OF A NATURAL RANGE...

Yep ,but here is where the marsh farm birds came from, Africa named after the Pharohs, ENGLISH WHITE, and BRITISH Range..not japanese whites

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_quail

See why some think they are japanese , but those first ones came from common quail not japaneses.....bet alot of today birds are neither common or japanese just a mixed of both....so calling them japanese quail is still incorrect.

Last edited:
Quote:
Each mutation start at a place, yes some can, come from the same area, just like the peafowl I know one breeder that has found more than one new mutation.

Still point is they are not japanese ,but a mix of the two.

Odd you gave the
thumbsup.gif
with wikepedia on japanese , but can't trust them on the common quail ????????

Marsh farm bred those 3 mutation here, from birds he imported which were common quail(pharoh). reason he gave them those names.

Yes all 3 of those mutation came from one location MARSH FARMS, well the one is not a mutation just a cross of two .

Reason I am so sure I received some of his birds in 1964 ...for a fact...

Last edited:
This thread is on genetic mutation on color.

What would you call these quail? Because coturnix can be any quail (harlequin, Japanese, barred...etc)

like peafowl greens

Muticus Muticus (JAVANESE)
Mutiicus -Imperator
Muticus-Specifier

If these are crossed like the common quail and japanese, we call them muticus can't call them Javanese , but we have some who try.

Same with corturnix corturnix, and corturnix japanese if cross you have neither just corturnix

Quote:
Each mutation start at a place, yes some can, come from the same area, just like the peafowl I know one breeder that has found more than one new mutation.

Odd you gave the
thumbsup.gif

Marsh farm bred those 3 mutation here, from birds he imported which were common quail(pharoh). reason he gave them those names.

Yes all 3 of those mutation came from one location MARSH FARMS, well the one is not a mutation just a cross of two .

I NEVER SAID THEY WERE JAPONESE. THE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY DID, AND MUCH LIKE ME I'M SURE THEY REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT MARSH FARMS OR THEIR LACK OF RESPECT FOR GENUS AND SPECES NAMES... THANX TO MARSH FARMS AND WHAT THEY DID SOME 50+ YRS AGO THERE ARE STILL MANY FOLKS OUT THERE WHO CALL ANY COTURNIX QUAIL IRREGUARDLESS OF SIZE, COLOR, OR SPECIFIC STRAIN OR SPECES "PHAROAH QUAIL" IT HAS COME TO BE KNOWN AS THE REDNECK ANTHEM FOR COTURNIX QUAIL.

Quote:

Odd you gave the
thumbsup.gif

I NEVER SAID THEY WERE JAPONESE. THE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY DID, AND MUCH LIKE ME I'M SURE THEY REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT MARSH FARMS OR THEIR LACK OF RESPECT FOR GENUS AND SPECES NAMES... THANX TO MARSH FARMS AND WHAT THEY DID SOME 50+ YRS AGO THERE ARE STILL MANY FOLKS OUT THERE WHO CALL ANY COTURNIX QUAIL IRREGUARDLESS OF SIZE, COLOR, OR SPECIFIC STRAIN OR SPECES "PHAROAH QUAIL" IT HAS COME TO BE KNOWN AS THE REDNECK ANTHEM FOR COTURNIX QUAIL.

Don't forget the common quail its not the same as a japanese. yes both are corturnix...

Yes your right about him calling them PHAROAH , if he hadn't done that maybe we would be calling them common quail or corturnix corturnix, and not japaneses.

Last edited:
50 years ago is that all.
The first report I know of bringing in the Coturnix coturnix Japonica is that they were brought to America by bird fanciers around 1870. That is from the University of California - Davis. Evidently they keep records. So if you want to argue with someone on the proper nominclature for the bird contact the University of California - Davis and tell them they have it all wrong. I am sure they will want to know that their records are wrong and that Marsh farms named them differently. Around 80 years after they had already been in the country.

Back
Top Bottom