japanese quail food consumption - check my math please

oskizzle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
Could someone verify that my logic and math here are correct? The final amount of food cost for the last 6 weeks of a Japanese quail seems way too low...

Info:
quail were fed Starter Feed for first 10 weeks
1 pound = 453 grams
Assume quail eat 18 g per day (high side of average that I've found), plus 5 g of waste per day
Food - Grower feed, 50 lb bag, $14.49, so $.29/lb.

Age 10 – 16 weeks
Per Day 23 g
Per Week 161 g
Total Amount 966 g (2.13 lbs)
Total Cost $.62

Is that math right? $.62 cents in feed per quail for 6 weeks?

MAY BE CORRECT BUT MOST DONT HARVEST UNTIL 8 WKS OR LATER, AND THEY WILL WASTE $10.69 OF FEED PER WEEK/ BIRD
roll.png

that is how much feed is here in Montana. I have found it doesn't matter what you get it's all around $14-$15 per 50lb. bag.

Yes, I called two local places that sell feed and this was their price for game bird starter 24% feed.

Well, never trust someone who is trying to sell you something. That is not game bird starter, that is CHICKEN starter. That is good chicken feed, but isn't adequate game bird feed. TSC will tell you it is good for Quail, Chickens, Turkey, Pheasants, Guineas, ext. Heck, they might even throw in that you can give it to cats. Do yourself a favor and don't listen to advice given to you by someone from a feed store that wants to sell you something. Find a real game bird feed and you're good to go.
smile.png

Two things:

1. Can either of you provide any options as to what you consider a product that should be used?

2. Do you have any constructive feedback in regards to the original topic for which the thread was started, whether or not my math is correct. I just needed a sanity check, seems quite low to me.

Back
Top Bottom