1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Japanese quail missing feathers

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PurplePartridge, Jan 11, 2015.

1. PurplePartridge

PurplePartridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2014
    Australia
    I just recently bought a group of coturnix quail (1 male, 2 female) and have noticed that one of the females has a small bald patch on the top of her head and a large red bald patch down the side of her neck and she also has a few broken feathers on her wings and tail. The male and other female look completely fine (happy and healthy). I was watching them for ages and didn't see pecking from any of them. Please help I am really worried.

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    The Roo is over breeding the bald female..... He holds on to the feathers where she is bald, as he tops her. Even with 3 or 4 hens, he will still have a favorite girl.... You might consider two or three more hens before he causes her harm. If there is blood, Blu Kote is your friend. she will heal on her own just fine. But the Blu Kote hides the wound and the others wont pick at it so much..... Good luck.

3. PurplePartridge

PurplePartridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2014
    Australia
    Thank you so much, her bald patches are red but I don't see any blood. I will try putting some more hens in with them and see if it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by