Japanese Temple Inspired Coop Design- Modify and use as your own!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tigress, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Tigress

Tigress Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    I was SO bored that I downloaded the Sketchup from Google and designed a Japanese Temple-ish coop. I had NO IDEA how to get the roof slanted while connecting to the downwards arches, so that is something you'll have to figure out if you decide to use this [​IMG]
    I left the 'window areas' uncovered because I wasn't sure what people might want to use for them; like hardwire cloth or glass or something. The one side of the four doesn't have a window so the chickens can get out of the wind if they need to.
    It's got a ramp that they can use to go to the second floor.

Anyways, here's pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Would love it if someone used this idea, as I dont really need another coop right now! [​IMG]

Let me know if the pictures don't show up and I'll try and fix that.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    That would be a stunning coop though ...

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I did a Japanese tea house for my Japanese bantams. The roof isn't swooped but it's bamboo.

[​IMG]

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:I LOVE LOVE LOVE this coop and the creativity you put into it...

ETA : Your Greyhound is stunning

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I am wondering if you could use some kind of fabric like they use on those huge pavillion tents - Not on my budget but it would be interesting.

For now I am stuck with Pallets for materials because they do have the best price - Free!
    Caroline

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

If I could cut straight along a line - I could do that - lol. The trick is making 2 boxes stacked - obviously - then make a template that is that sweeping design for the edges - and cut them out of wood, and tack to the corners of the top box (would put something like rubber or tarpaper down on the top of the top box) then for the very top just take 4 of the template cuts and glue and screw together - then mount on top. Then I would use something like columbiacritter did and use bamboo matting to lay on top of the rubber/tarpaper to give it a true nicer cleaner 'japanese' look. [​IMG]

Edited to add: A good carpenter with the right tools could make a neat sloping roof to go with the arches as well - would really look awesome. *sigh* If only I could cut along a line - my hands shake too bad for to me to make nice pretty consistant cuts though - lol.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by