Jar as an incubator???

Pipica

Songster
Feb 6, 2023
Central New Jersey
Last night I stumbled on a YouTube into this jar as an incubator!!!! The lady put some straw into the jar probably 2/3 up and put the marked eggs inside. She covered it with a little pice of cardboard with 1/2in hole in it and weighed it with a rock!!! The contraption was put on a stone shelf in sunny location and eggs were turned daily. Apparently a blanket was enough to keep temperature during the night. In a video the eggs hatched I was wandering if this thing is real? Can it be done? Did anyone try this.
Previously I did extensive research on incubation before electricity and was interested methods used in BC era (I know I went deep) however , mason jar is just ……… something else!! Can please someone experienced elaborate on this and put some sense into me and talk me out of it as my first time project. Please, 🧐

If you want to try it, then do it. You will learn hands on experience from it whether it works or fails.

But on a practical note it won't work, understanding what it takes for cell development to occur. You need to factor in the consistent heat and moisture level all throughout it's development. And you would need to setup a containment suitable to maintain that environment.

Humm, idk. Sounds like a science experiment that may be fun to try and see if it works….But if there are already tried and true ways to incubate why stray?
Sounds like cooking them in the sun is what will happen.

Humm, idk. Sounds like a science experiment that may be fun to try and see if it works….But if there are already tried and true ways to incubate why stray?
Sounds like cooking them in the sun is what will happen.
That is what I’m thinking I’m up for experiment and experience of it . My hens are willing and able to hatch more then I need but I like to stray , lol. It would be cool to have chicks from the jar, so too speak. I was wondering if anyone saw that and if it’s fake like most of craaap on YT Or there is slight chance that it can be done.

That is what I’m thinking I’m up for experiment and experience of it . My hens are willing and able to hatch more then I need but I like to stray , lol. It would be cool to have chicks from the jar, so too speak. I was wondering if anyone saw that and if it’s fake like most of craaap on YT Or there is slight chance that it can be done.
Some of those diy projects are fake, they just create content to get views and likes.

Last night I stumbled on a YouTube into this jar as an incubator!!!! The lady put some straw into the jar probably 2/3 up and put the marked eggs inside. She covered it with a little pice of cardboard with 1/2in hole in it and weighed it with a rock!!! The contraption was put on a stone shelf in sunny location and eggs were turned daily. Apparently a blanket was enough to keep temperature during the night. In a video the eggs hatched I was wandering if this thing is real? Can it be done? Did anyone try this.
Previously I did extensive research on incubation before electricity and was interested methods used in BC era (I know I went deep) however , mason jar is just ……… something else!! Can please someone experienced elaborate on this and put some sense into me and talk me out of it as my first time project. Please,

Incubation pre electricity is an interesting subject. I believe they still incubate balute eggs in warmed rice hulls in the Philippines. I don't know if the video is fake, but it should be possible. I think you would want a material in the jar that would retain enough heat overnight, Maybe sand. Good luck with your experiment.

Last edited:
In a video the eggs hatched I was wandering if this thing is real?
I'll go ahead and call fake on the video.. though I haven't seen it.. Did they use a thermometer at all or state what they're local and indoor temps are? I likely won't be watching to boost views on what I do believe is not real content. You should post the link though for others who wanna see before giving an opinion.

Simply stated.. aside from heat and humidity.. I do not believe there would be enough oxygen for development in a mason type jar with a half inch hole and a straw but no air circulation.. The still air bators all have holes around the bottom so that fresh air draws in that way.. exiting out the smaller top vent.

One thing I can tell you about temperature fluctuations.. sometimes chicks still make it out of their shell on their own and have deformities that *should* be culled.

I feel like those trying to incubate in their bras.. might get better results.. and I haven't heard any fantastic hatch stories from those experiments YET.

If and I mean a very big IF the video you're refrencing is real.. I will say that location in the world as well as season probably makes a huge difference.. still, I don't buy it.

I do hope you'll tag me if you try and especially if you're successful.. as I actually like to be proven wrong about any assumptions I might have! It keeps life interesting. :pop

Last edited:

Attachments

• 97B1A803-3D3E-48A5-AB9B-1D4AD6A74BB3.jpeg
    97B1A803-3D3E-48A5-AB9B-1D4AD6A74BB3.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom