Java Green peafowl questions

I have a young pair (6 months-ish) of unrelated 15/16ths high percentage Spalding Java Green in central TX that I need to sell (need the money). What would be fair to ask for them? (They come from the Castleberry's birds)

I have a young pair (6 months-ish) of unrelated 15/16ths high percentage Spalding Java Green in central TX that I need to sell (need the money). What would be fair to ask for them? (They come from the Castleberry's birds)
can you post a photo of them ............what other color is involved Indian blue or other?

Where abouts is Castleberry's birds located ??
never heard of them before

Last edited:
I'm not expert too, but her chicks look just like the standard green chicks we see through all US breeders, ZAZ, your last chick in the pictures from imported birds, right?

You can't compare imported greens to the old American greens, of course imported chicks will look much different.
Update 2 of these are imports the rest are not can you tell which is which?

ZAZ .. Mr. Castleberry is located in Paris Tx. He had a number of greens from the number 1 breeder of greens at that time. Some years ago Mike Johns and I bought most all of his green birds and left him with a pair. Mike Johns had bought a lot of birds from Rodney Michaels (SP) and set up a large green breeders bldgs. Mike has gotten rid of a lot of his birds now. Mr. Castleberry also does very nice wood carvings of waterfowl. I had met him some 20 plus yrs ago and has been yrs since I have seen him. I have seen some of Rodney birds that were as good or better than the imports today, but everyone will invent new wheels. connerhills

The 15/16 male

The 15/16 female

Rockey Castleberry & his extended family raise a lot of high end exotics here north of Austin, TX, including Java Green. Dale Fisher does a lot with exotic birds too here & works with Java Greens. So the stock in this area is from their birds.

The 15/16 male

The 15/16 female

Rockey Castleberry & his extended family raise a lot of high end exotics here north of Austin, TX, including Java Green. Dale Fisher does a lot with exotic birds too here & works with Java Greens. So the stock in this area is from their birds.
Hate to break this to you but those pretty birds look to be low percentage spaldings IMO most high percentage can full the best of green peafowl breeders they looks so much like the pavo muticus muticus .

There are several folks here that can share their photos of high percentage spalding

How old are your babies?

Last edited:
ZAZ .. Mr. Castleberry is located in Paris Tx. He had a number of greens from the number 1 breeder of greens at that time. Some years ago Mike Johns and I bought most all of his green birds and left him with a pair. Mike Johns had bought a lot of birds from Rodney Michaels (SP) and set up a large green breeders bldgs. Mike has gotten rid of a lot of his birds now. Mr. Castleberry also does very nice wood carvings of waterfowl. I had met him some 20 plus yrs ago and has been yrs since I have seen him. I have seen some of Rodney birds that were as good or better than the imports today, but everyone will invent new wheels. connerhills
Thanks got the info
thumbsup.gif
so do you know where i might find a Muticus Muticus male or males? i have 2 peacocks and 10 hens, one of the males is from imported lines as well as a hen and i either need more males or sell some hens not real sure which direction to go at this point i really only wanted a few pairs or trios now i have a dilemma
idunno.gif

Those Spaldings don't look that high %. I am not sure about the exact price, but probably a price a little more than the price of an India blue.

Here are photos of the Castlebury Java Greens: http://www.castlebury.net/greenpeafowl.htm
I emailed him not too long ago and I don't think they have any greens left now or at least they don't sell anymore.

Zaz of the green peachick photos I want to say the second bird is an import? Then I guess maybe the last photo that hen is an import?

I would say to check with Kelly Wheelbarger of Read Mountain Peafowl because he has some nice Javas. His sell pretty quickly but he might have some males. I think this time of year is when he sells the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom