Java Thread

Thank you all so much. Is anyone showing their Javas?

I entered some of my Black Javas in a show last year just to get some knowledgeable opinions about which birds to pair together to overcome their faults. Fully expected them to be disqualified for lack of yellow in the soles but the judge was overly nice, hallucinated some faint yellow in the soles, and placed them last. After I've worked with my birds for a few years I plan on showing more often.

A friend of mine has some good-looking black javas that he shows but he is not on any online forums. It was his birds that got me into Javas in the first place. I saw them at a county fair and fell in love with them. At the time I did not know who the breeder was or how to find him so I got my birds from another source. Mine need a lot of work before they are really show-worthy, but it is an interesting challenge so I am giving it a few years to see how it goes.

Showing is the best way to introduce people to the breed. I am interested in preserving the breed and that means getting more people interested in keeping the birds. Which means showing them, once they actually look like representatives of the breed. So I will be showing them eventually, even though showing is not my primary goal.

So sorry to burst in on your thread. I got what I'm pretty sure is a mottled java pullet as an "extra". I don't in any way expect a show quality bird and that is fine with me. The thing is, she's kind of a jerk. Flightier than I expected, but the bigger problem is that he's kind of a bully. Is that a common thing? I'm feeling like she won't fit in with my flock very well. I'm also starting a friend out with some of my extra started chicks, but if I have her to them she would still be the only one of her kind with the other more docile chicks. Think I would be setting up for a problem?

So sorry to burst in on your thread. I got what I'm pretty sure is a mottled java pullet as an "extra". I don't in any way expect a show quality bird and that is fine with me. The thing is, she's kind of a jerk. Flightier than I expected, but the bigger problem is that he's kind of a bully. Is that a common thing? I'm feeling like she won't fit in with my flock very well. I'm also starting a friend out with some of my extra started chicks, but if I have her to them she would still be the only one of her kind with the other more docile chicks. Think I would be setting up for a problem?
Personalities vary from chicken to chicken in any breed, including Javas. Have had nice ones, snarky ones, flighty ones, "Velcro" Javas - just depends on the chicken. Any flock has to work out it's pecking order with the birds that are in it. Just a matter of letting them do it. Which can be difficult to watch sometimes and you have to just learn when to intervene when there seems to be a bully and when to leave it alone and let them police themselves.

Here's a pic of my black java from cedar Creek hatchery Michigan

Back
Top Bottom