Java Thread

I'm awefully happy to have the ones my grandmother had since the 1930's. All are from the ones she got from her mom when she married. They havn't been outcrossed, they are all very similar in appearence, as happens from a long line of inbreeding. I'll take some pics tomarrow.

Well, I got to the bottom of why my little chickens look so different: they are not pure. The guy bought Java 6 eggs from a breeder in Belgium (who's contact details I'm trying to get now). He brought them here, hatched them and crossed them to his other bantams (unknown breeds). The chickens I bought were the result of that X breeding. I wish he'd kept them pure!
I am going to try and get some pure Java hatching eggs, but I've had very little joy so far in finding a breeder. Hopefully I'll be able to get hold of the guy in Belgium.
Thank you for telling me more about this breed and for all the links and info.

Well, I got to the bottom of why my little chickens look so different: they are not pure. The guy bought Java 6 eggs from a breeder in Belgium (who's contact details I'm trying to get now). He brought them here, hatched them and crossed them to his other bantams (unknown breeds). The chickens I bought were the result of that X breeding. I wish he'd kept them pure!
I am going to try and get some pure Java hatching eggs, but I've had very little joy so far in finding a breeder. Hopefully I'll be able to get hold of the guy in Belgium.
Thank you for telling me more about this breed and for all the links and info.
This doesn't surprise me. As far as anyone that I know of knows, there are not any naturally occurring Bantam Javas. So in order to create them, one would have to find a bantam chicken to cross them with or only breed the smallest Javas. In either case, it would take some years to get them shrunk down in size and still have them look like US SOP Javas.

I think I sent you the article that Bob Blosl wrote about making Black Bantam Javas. If not, I can send that to you. I know that Monte Bowen here in the US was supposedly working on making some bantams but I have never heard how that project was coming nor have I seen any photos of his results.

Honestly, if you have the time and inclination, you could work on this bantam project on your own. It would be a long term project if you wanted to get them up to US standards, but it might be fun to try your own hand at it.

Sorry I haven't emailed of late - it's been nuts.

I think that would be a very interesting project. I can't sell eggs here like I did in SA and chickens are also more readably available here + there are awesome breeds and types to pick and choose from here, so the market for chicks is not as good. I've been wondering what I can do so this could be nice. I'll go check if I see if that article is amongst in the stuff you mailed me and let you know. And in case I don't speak to you again before Tuesday: Merry Christmas!

Monte has bred the java bantom and showed them at cross roads last year.I have 19 of his birds and love them.They are very type, very small with good yellow foot pads.They lay a medium size egg.

okay, Im excited, got my first young flock of Black Javas. Now I just need to know what to look for when culling. Im assuming that I should wait until they are at least a year old?

Yes I'd wait until they are one year excepting for obvious faults like crooked beak and such.
In the meantime get a copy of the Standard and beginning studying the Java. Impossible to do this right without the Standard.

Also you need to join the SPPA and learn everything you can from Monte (he's the 1st vice pres.: that mean's he's the first person in charge of vice: lol).

Back
Top Bottom