Java Thread

I thought that might be the case. There used to be several hatcheries in the Southeast Kansas areas and would help each other fill orders. and they also bought hatching eggs from known flocks. But almost all these hatcheries went out of business in the 1960's.

The CSU thread (Chicken State University - Large Fowl SOP) is discussing Javas this week. All you folks who are attempting to breed Javas to the current Standard of Perfection, please post pictures on the CSU thread with discussion of the issues you are having with those birds regarding meeting the standard. We want to see the good points, the problem areas, and hear what you are doing to try to improve the line. We're open to "I've got this problem and don't know how to fix it" comments, too.

Here's a link to the CSU thread. The first post describes the goals of the thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/732985/csu-chicken-state-university-large-fowl-sop

If you need some time to take photos, please post a quick note on that thread letting us know!

This is a great chance to get the Javas some more exposure among people who are interested in preserving heritage breeds.

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say, because I'm looking at the java chicks I got from Duane Urch a few weeks ago and hoping I can do well by them.

Thanks,

Sarah

I have a question I hope someone here can help me with:
There's a guy in my area selling chicks, he has a black Java rooster and black Java and Australorp hens. Is there any way I would be able to tell which are the purebreed Javas?

I have a question I hope someone here can help me with:
There's a guy in my area selling chicks, he has a black Java rooster and black Java and Australorp hens. Is there any way I would be able to tell which are the purebreed Javas?
You would need to see the mature birds and compare them to what they are supposed to look like according to the APA SOP.

I loved my Mottled Java hens. Unfortunately, I don't have them any more and can't find any good pictures. I have finally tracked down the breeder that I bought them from in Louisiana and I want to get a few more. I know its hard to tell from these photos; but what do you folks think of these hens? They were excellent foragers and better layers than most people report about the breed (between the two, they laid 10 or 11 eggs a week and took some times off in the winters).

I loved my Mottled Java hens. Unfortunately, I don't have them any more and can't find any good pictures. I have finally tracked down the breeder that I bought them from in Louisiana and I want to get a few more. I know its hard to tell from these photos; but what do you folks think of these hens? They were excellent foragers and better layers than most people report about the breed (between the two, they laid 10 or 11 eggs a week and took some times off in the winters).

By the way, those are the same two hens in all three photos. They got much more white with age (one more than the other). And they got really big after a few years too. In my gravatar is the whiter one when she was about 4.

Ahhh! A clear photo of my Mina after she molted to mostly white.

Since they lighten as they age, she would have needed to be a layer, or bred with a male that didn't have much white to try to get any offspring to be more in line with the 1 in 3 feathers tipped in white per the SOP. But she still looks pretty with the white and has the long Java back on her.

Since they lighten as they age, she would have needed to be a layer, or bred with a male that didn't have much white to try to get any offspring to be more in line with the 1 in 3 feathers tipped in white per the SOP. But she still looks pretty with the white and has the long Java back on her.
Yes, and she was good layer. Her sister was the more proper mostly black color and she was too for her first two years; but quickly turned white. She was awfully pretty that color though. I think I'm going to get two more hens and a rooster from the same breeder. They were really such great birds: friendly, funny, laid better than the breed description and they practically took care of themselves. They were such tough ladies too. Her sister survived a horrible possum attack that you would never think she could come back from and she went on to continue laying for another couple of years after.

Your Javas are lovely. I just checked out your blog. I wish we were closer. I'd take a roo off your hands!

Yes, and she was good layer. Her sister was the more proper mostly black color and she was too for her first two years; but quickly turned white. She was awfully pretty that color though. I think I'm going to get two more hens and a rooster from the same breeder. They were really such great birds: friendly, funny, laid better than the breed description and they practically took care of themselves. They were such tough ladies too. Her sister survived a horrible possum attack that you would never think she could come back from and she went on to continue laying for another couple of years after.

Your Javas are lovely. I just checked out your blog. I wish we were closer. I'd take a roo off your hands!
That is one tough chicken!

Back
Top Bottom