Java Thread

I was sold "Partridge Chantecler's" way back in a post...then it was suggested I had Partridge Brahma's, well now that they are 4.5 months old, I've been told I have Auburn Java's - what do you think? They have cushion combs and 2 out of the 4 have feathered feet. They are all brothers...I'd really like to know what they are?

LL
LL

LL
LL

LL
LL

It looks like a cross of some kind. The genetics of the Auburn Java are quite complex...multiple genes working together and a creation of Lyle Behl. I get a small percentage of "Auburns" or those with the potential to produce Lyle's Auburns with every hatch and each one of them are clean legged and willow shanked/yellow foot pads, single comb-not rose combs.

What other feathered shanked breeds does the individual keep/sell? That would give you a good clue as to what they were crossed with. How about Wheaten Marans?
This is similar to Wheaten coloration in the males...What color are the pullets? Lighter-wheat color? Are they laying yet? What is the egg color? They actually look like a nice size dual purpose bird.
wink.png

Perhaps they are a Chantecler crossed with a feather shanked ___? (intentional or accidental)

The only other chickens the lady had at the time were Black Copper Marans & Partridge Chantecler's. The pullets are lighter as pictured below, but very different as well.. they are not laying yet so I don't know the egg color. They are beautiful and very friendly - a joy to have around the yard!

Aha!...that's most likely what you have: Marans + Chantecler.

I've crossed Javas with BCM and they are very productive and lay a #4 egg. They are usually clean legged but that could be from a shank feather inhibiting gene the Java itself carries as opposed to the Chantecler. I thought your birds looked a little bit Marans. Some people have what they think is a Black Copper Marans roo and it is in actuality a Wheaten Marans. It's a very common mistake made by many as they are very similar in color.

The pullet on the bottom looks very similar to wheaten coloration but since these are a mixed, the colors and patterns are unstable.
Both Chantecler and some Marans carry barring genes as well which is why you see these patterns in your birds.

Enjoy them, 2 good breeds mixed together will make a nice hardy and productive bird. Another option would be to work with them and create your own breed depending on which look you like and select for traits/colors/patterns you like.
wink.png

There's a mixed breed - photo reference thread that I'm sure would be very interested in seeing this lovely cross.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...uidelines-in-first-post-before-adding-content

Thanks Extra Java! Thats exactly what I want to do...work on a breed that is friendly, adaptable to the hot/cold climate, a great egg producer and tasty too! I'll be working with them for a few years :) I'm wondering where the yellow legs came from as Marans and Chanteclers have charcoal legs? One of mine even has creepy skin colored legs - he's one of the feathered footed ones.

It's time to get our flock a new leader.....
Anyone in Illinois have a Black Java cockerel that needs a new home?

Our current model has become a bit too rough with our Black Java hens. There's 12 hens and he's not very gentlemanly, shall we say. I'm tired of having my girls being bullied by their supposed protector. He does a good job on the whole 'protector' job....but not so much on the 'gentleman' part.

I have two MJ, one hen and one pullet. I am also looking for a few more but like most folks mine are out of Urch. Please PM me if you have suggestions or birds/eggs. Must be NPIP. I will definitely need a cockerel.

Got the pre issue of the Java Club Newsletter today and great issue promoting the history of the Mottled Java and my old strain I found of Dr. McGraw’s line of Mottled Java’s. I will try to help you get a copy of this issue. May be able to go directly to the club web site I have not researched this yet.

http://www.javabreedersofamerica.com/e-newsletter/

join now the newsletter is ready for you to read.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom