Java Thread

I have pm'd you. If you are serious about this breed make contact with Java Breeders of America. You can find the articles bob is mentioning and much much more there.

Sounds like these are Reynolds birds.
I doubt they are from D. Reynolds since he's still alive and kickin' in AR.
wink.png

If you got javas from a son in Alabama it would be Dr. McGraw's son as this is where the adult birds I have which where two old males two hens and a pullet came from. Dr. Mc Graw died about 7 years or so and he kept them and the guy who gave them to me got them from his son about five years ago. Sounds like this is Dr. McGraw's son.

I would love to talk to him for historic purposes and if he gives you anything on his dad stock history old papers protect them as they would be great historic value for the Java breed club.

Let me make one thing clear I am doing this for the Java club as I am out of large fowl and can only take care of my red bantams and a few other bantam breeds. I will get four good true to core Java lovers this year. I got a order for ten chicks today and have a order all ready for Feb or March with our mentor who will be coaching the team members. I have a partner who I supplied ten chicks with this spring in Texas and he has shared some of his with a friend down the road a few miles who is also a Java club member. So we have two with Javas now the birds for breeding here with my friend Anthony. I am sure all will work out fine and Dr. McGraw old line will live on. just need enough people so five or ten years ago they will still be around. Great old gene pool and where are you going to find a pure line of H chickens nearly 60 years old and pure. Very hard in my book as most people cross something into their line thinking they are going to hit the lottery. They destroy their gene pool and most of them are out of the breed in three years unless they are very sharp breeders.

Last edited:
Most people aren't willing to do the kind of reading/learning that goes into keeping and breeding much less knowing the history of a breed. I like that 4H starts kids out learning the history of their birds. Thankfully for me I can still ask some folks here that have been keeping birds for 40 years or more. I got lucky in some ways being in Maine. Erek N and Dr B Hawes, Barry N and a few others-- that man who won the NEPC with his RIR LF last spring is a club member here, Bob, are folks who have been kind in taking their time with me and my son, who is now starting to show. Finding people like this is a step that I don't think people are appreciating so much anymore. You can't know everything from a book and what works in the south isn't going to work the same up here. Common sense isn't so common anymore but it sure does help if you can find some of that too lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom