Java Thread

I know how you feel - it took me a while to find anyone that had Javas they were willing to sell. At the moment I am still working on getting my breeding hens back to egg laying since they just finished molting and the days are so short now. Later next year I may have eggs avail but not right now. Lost a couple of hens this summer so am down to just 4 Mottled hens until this year's pullets are ready to breed.

Here's some people that I found on our Java Breeder's list and on the Livestock Conservancy's list that are closer to you so you can check them out:

~~Connie and King Phelps
27449 State Hwy 38
Elkton, Oregon 97436
[email protected]
541-584-2271
http://www.turksnmor.com
Mottled Javas, Black Javas, White Javas- ships eggs

~~Farwest Hatchery
PO Box 856
Aurora, OR 97002
Phone: 503-266-2566
Fax: 877-678-1649
Email: [email protected]
http://www.farwesthatchery.com

~~ Mkesha Clayton
Scio, OR

~~Sussie Due
Bend, OR

Duane's not any closer than I am to you, but he has more breeding stock so may have more eggs available - he is one of the few people in the country to have been keeping Javas since the mid 20th century.
~~Duane Urch Urch/Turnland Poultry
2142 NW 47 Ave.
Owatonna, MN 55060
507-451-6782
[email protected]
Call between 7pm and 9pm CST
Mottled Javas, Black Javas sells eggs and chicks – will ship them Ships Live chicks starting in January

I would contact them now - there may be a waiting list already, especially with Duane Urch. If these don't work out, let me know and we'll see what we can find for you, but it may be a while since most breeders aren't collecting eggs for hatching just yet.

If you decide to get serious with Javas, we'd love to have you join our group - Java Breeders of America

This is a great list! Thanks so much. I will see you areound the thread and hopefully by next spring I will have a few of MJ girls

I have a pullet who, while flighty, is pretty nice. Between her and my Russian Orloffs I will be showing two breeds at the spring shows that several local judges have never seen. I don't expect them to 'do well' but it sure will be fun to have the folks looking and asking about them. We have a lot of kids showing up here. I think it's more important, at this point, for some rare or 'heritage' breeds to be shown even if they aren't perfect. Sometimes folks who get into these birds are stingy or just looking for some kind of attention via having. I hope those of you with Javas will consider showing to help folks learn rather than for the ribbons-- not that ribbons aren't nice. They are. It would help the breed more to have them shown to generate interest. If you've never shown, its pretty easy and fun. There are so many folks to talk to about their birds. Its a chance to learn as well as teach. Food for thought.

I have a pullet who, while flighty, is pretty nice. Between her and my Russian Orloffs I will be showing two breeds at the spring shows that several local judges have never seen. I don't expect them to 'do well' but it sure will be fun to have the folks looking and asking about them. We have a lot of kids showing up here. I think it's more important, at this point, for some rare or 'heritage' breeds to be shown even if they aren't perfect. Sometimes folks who get into these birds are stingy or just looking for some kind of attention via having. I hope those of you with Javas will consider showing to help folks learn rather than for the ribbons-- not that ribbons aren't nice. They are. It would help the breed more to have them shown to generate interest. If you've never shown, its pretty easy and fun. There are so many folks to talk to about their birds. Its a chance to learn as well as teach. Food for thought.

Definitely need more Java keepers and people who would be willing to get their Javas out there to spread the word about how great they are! Great thoughts!

Showing is important. I "discovered" javas at a show. Even though my birds are not likely to be contenders - at least for a few generations - I will show them so that other people have the chance to discover the breed, too.

We had 17 Black Javas in the Tucson show a couple of weeks ago. The Java folks met with the judge afterward to go over our birds. We all learned a lot. I am looking forward to seeing what progress we all make by next year.

Anyone bringing Mottled Javas to Stockton? I won't be going but would like to talk about maybe getting some mottled hatching eggs to a friend who will be going. Do people even do that...buy and sell eggs at these shows? I am a noob

I grew up showing sheep and horses and really don't want to get back into the show thing but I agree it is a great way to get awareness and interest out there about different breeds. Seems like the entire local 4-H program is devoted to Cornish x and Old English Bantams..you don't see more than a handful of LF at our local fair. I have thought about leading a heritage poultry project but it will probably have to wait until I retire in 8 years

Definitely!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom