Java Thread

I was hoping the ones under Anastasia would hatch first. This is her first time and if she did well with the 2 chicks I was going to put them all with her. I have 5 1/2 week olds in the garage brooder and spent all day today building a grow out coop for them. I'll be able to finish it tomorrow but not if I'm glued to the incubator. Lol

I was hoping the ones under Anastasia would hatch first. This is her first time and if she did well with the 2 chicks I was going to put them all with her. I have 5 1/2 week olds in the garage brooder and spent all day today building a grow out coop for them. I'll be able to finish it tomorrow but not if I'm glued to the incubator. Lol
lol I know how you feel! my life is constantly shifting babies out to the outside brooder and then to a grow out pen and then finding a permanent place for them lol still no pips :(

My first little Java!

yay! I have a pip too! but of course it pipped through a blood vessel so we shall see. I also have a few of my own eggs pipped as well :)

That's interesting. I don't know if I had of seen blood at the pip site I would have realized it was because it pipped through a vessel. Guess depending on the size of the vessel how he'll do. My last hatch I had one that I was helping. I took a little bit of shell off around the top and suddenly the chick burst out. There was quite a bit of bleeding from the umbilical cord and I thought it was probably a goner but he's alive and well. A similar thing can happen in humans. Normally there are no blood vessels running through the membranes but you can have something called Velamentous insertion of the cord. If your water breaks across a major blood vessel that is running through the membranes you can get major bleeding. Funny that most of the time I have seen it the water breaks between the vessels. And it's interesting that I guess it must be rare for a chick to pip through a vessel.

That's interesting. I don't know if I had of seen blood at the pip site I would have realized it was because it pipped through a vessel. Guess depending on the size of the vessel how he'll do. My last hatch I had one that I was helping. I took a little bit of shell off around the top and suddenly the chick burst out. There was quite a bit of bleeding from the umbilical cord and I thought it was probably a goner but he's alive and well. A similar thing can happen in humans. Normally there are no blood vessels running through the membranes but you can have something called Velamentous insertion of the cord. If your water breaks across a major blood vessel that is running through the membranes you can get major bleeding. Funny that most of the time I have seen it the water breaks between the vessels. And it's interesting that I guess it must be rare for a chick to pip through a vessel.
Ive only ever seen it one other time and the pip it low on the side of the egg, if I had to guess it even looks like it is below the air cell. Overnight it has made no progress but the other 3 have pipped, hopefully it will pip again in another spot because now the bloody pip is all dried even though my humidity is fine

Ive only ever seen it one other time and the pip it low on the side of the egg, if I had to guess it even looks like it is below the air cell. Overnight it has made no progress but the other 3 have pipped, hopefully it will pip again in another spot because now the bloody pip is all dried even though my humidity is fine

Yea for 4 pips! I have three hatched and two more pips. They are really drawing this out. I wonder if egg size effects hatch date. Two of the three that hatched were the smaller eggs.

Yea for 4 pips! I have three hatched and two more pips. They are really drawing this out. I wonder if egg size effects hatch date. Two of the three that hatched were the smaller eggs.
I wouldn't think so because my bantam eggs hatch at the same time as my large fowl eggs. This bloody one is gonna break my heart, I so wanna snatch it out and open the died up hole to see if its ok but i know that would just put my other eggs at risk for shrink wrapping :(

I wouldn't think so because my bantam eggs hatch at the same time as my large fowl eggs. This bloody one is gonna break my heart, I so wanna snatch it out and open the died up hole to see if its ok but i know that would just put my other eggs at risk for shrink wrapping :(

Well, maybe you'll find that it pips okay through the bloody area. I'm afraid I'm a little bit of an interventionist. I have an incubator that I can't see through it's just a small one that was cheap. So I have taken peeks but since it is small it regains humidity very quickly. I had no trouble with my last hatcheven though my kids kept peeking while I was at work. This time my third egg to hatch had pipped at the same time as the second but the second zipped and hatched and the first was making no progress. I pulled back a tiny piece of the shelland the membranes still looked intact. So I poked a small hole just so some air could get in. Within the next hour he had zipped and was out. Maybe he would have done it anyway, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom