Java Thread

Pics
"It is my belief that some birds are faster developig and I do think it is true with the heritage birds, part of their survival processes to be stronger and develope faster, what says Javachick ?
Javachick: How many days are typical to hatch your chicks ?"

Wow! ah, honestly, ah .... this is just me ... chicks hatch on day 21. I might get 1 or 2 chicks to hatch 12 hours early but for the most part they are 21 days on the money ---> in a perfectly steady 99.5 degree temperature incubator with a turbo fan and a good humidified environment.

Drier humidity is better than too moist. I had a whole incubator full of chicken eggs hatch and all the chicks died within 24 hours from drowning with fluid in their lungs, but then too dry the chicks will get stuck in the shell and die if you don't realize it is in trouble. I have seen both.

If they are late hatching the incubator lost temperature sometime during the incubating or there were pockets of cooler temperatures which will happen in a still air incubating environment. If the hatch is early there were pockets of too high temperatures or a period of higher temperatures which speed up the incubating process and it might only be 1/2 of a degree but it will speed up the hatch.

I try to shoot for a perfect 21 day hatch because chicks have the best chance of being their healthiest. I have learned to only help a chick who is stuck because of humidy --->I found out the hard way if the little guy can't get out on his own he will most likely not survive. But, Javas are so hardy they are a joy to watch come into the world and I think most heritage breeds have this natural hardiness over hybrid breeds.

javachick

jumpy.gif
Babies! Babies! Babies!
jumpy.gif

My old Black Javas did it!!!!
47762_bjc_1c_11-14-10.jpg

47762_bjc_1b_11-14-10.jpg

47762_bjc_1e_11-14-10.jpg

47762_black_java_chicks_hatched_11-14-10.jpg

47762_bjc_1d_11-14-10.jpg

I feel like I got a shot now. These are eggs 15 and 16 from my Black Java Hens 4 & 5 years old with an 8 year old Black Java Rooster. Eggs 17 & 18 should hatch this Saturday and 4 more the following Sunday.

yippiechickie.gif
Doing the happy dance all around the room
yippiechickie.gif
Oh got to stop dancing now the babies are sleeping. <grins>

javachick

Last edited:
well, temps have been perfect, I have 3 thermometers in each incubator and they are all right on, and same with humidity.
I still have had no more pips and this day 21, so we shall see...I am almost getting concerned here...the 3 that hatched are doing great though...
hmm.png

ok, so this is a different bunch than you had the temp drop in? i am confused! this is not surprising however.
lol.png

either way, i am crossing my fingers and toes...

Last edited:
Congrats javachick....It's nice to hear and see that good ol boy is still getten er done. Thanks for sharing the pics. Did you mention what state you are living in ? I'm going to aquire some peeps come spring. Are you planning on selling any peeps? That's pretty cool...most roo's are in the shade just watching at that age.
~ bigzio

Oh we had the power go out in a storm a week and half ago and temps dropped to 87 in 15 minutes we had the power back on, no spike in humidity, and I think the eggs woud be just fine.
The first set had 3 clear, 2 hatch, 2 not hatching..and several of mine hatched.
These storms are wreaking havoc with hatchings all over the state !
One woman slept with her peeps in her shirt!!
jumpy.gif

Another had to borrow her neighbor's generator as hers would not start, but the neighbor's generator only had a small tank so she had to stay up all night putting gas in every 2 hrs !!!
The next set of Javas is not due quite yet..so this is the in between time.
There is still pips going on with my Cuckoo Marans I put in there, on time.
I can only think that during shipping they were warmed, and thus hatched early.
Will keep you posted every so often, it has been stormy here and internet and power has been effected
Robin

Hi bigzio

I live in southeastern Indiana. I don't know if I will have any peeps or eggs for sale or swap yet because the rooster I am using is on loan, so I am not sure I will have him in the springtime. I will keep you posted.

javachick

Last edited:
Always learning...I forgot to mark my calendar when I put two eggs in my incubator two days after I put in the 2nd batch of Black Java eggs, so I got a little surprise when I was walking past the incubator yesterday hearing baby chick peeping noises. I opened the corner of the incubator and saw one egg piped and the other almost all the way zipped opened. I slammed the incubator closed, knowing at this point the piped egg was in danger of drying out because I opened the incubator and the zipped egg was so close to opening he would be ok.

I pulled the plug on the turner and waited. The little guy hatched within a few minutes. I was going to leave him in the incubator until both eggs hatched but he got his wing stuck between the rails of the turner so I pulled him out and placed a warm wet wash cloth on the inside of the incubator & checked the piped egg, tapping the little beak and knew he was alive and wiggling; so I placed him on the warm wet wash cloth. I kept checking on him...a couple hours later and no progress...I checked again...there was no movement when I touched his beak...I quickly opened the egg hoping to save the stuck chick. He died but not because he was stuck. He absorbed the yoke but his bellybutton did not close all the way. I checked some of the university websites for troubleshooting and came to the conclusion it was a turning problem. During this batch I accidently forgot to turn the turner back on. When I add eggs to an incubator I will turn the turner off for 12 hours. I added eggs on a Monday and realized Thursday it was still off.

I have 3 beautiful and healthy Black Java chicks. They themselves are a miracle and with more bj eggs in the incubator all is good.

47762_25_hatch_bj_05.jpg

47762_25_hatch_bj_04.jpg

47762_25_hatch_bj_03.jpg

You can see the 2nd egg piping right next to the newly hatched chick

47762_25_hatch_bj_02.jpg

47762_25_hatch_bj_01.jpg

javachick

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom