Java Thread

Pics
Show off !
I forgot to mark my calendar on a few also, I am bad for writting things down and next time I am going to use a book to log stuff in instead of scribbling tiny notes on the calendar, along with rabbit gestations and other stuff...hard to read my messy calendar.
The storms here are incredible...lightening, snow, wind, hail !!!
Power on & off, some folks who lost power last Monday still have no power (in Eastern Washington and Puget Sound area here in the western WA area.
If all my notes are correct, several babies should pip today and since things got cold 2 X now, (only to 87 for 10 minutes or so) I expect them to pip a little late.
Hopefully !
The fuzzy butts that did hatch are doing fantastic !
Gotta go~and you folks east of us watch out cuz it is coming your way and it is po'd !!!
3.gif

OK a fast pic of fuzzy butts before my internet goes out again !
50801_rocky_005.jpg

50801_rocky_004.jpg

and caught this in the night:
50801_rocky_006.jpg

BYE!!!
I will post more when I can !!!
And I hope the second batch hatches good !!
fl.gif

Last edited:
WOW.... I can't believe I missed this thread! I just found it today. Anyway, I am excited to see some old friends and to see there are alot of new Java friends too. I have had my Mottled Javas for a couple of years now. I just absolutly love mine. I got mine from the same source that onthespot got hers from.
As far as the club, I started all strong on it, then life started to get in the way. If there is anyone that would like to take on that project, I would be willing to help and be an active part in the start up. I just can't do it all myself right now. I have alot of info that would be of help with this. Please PM me if you are interested.
It is exciting to have found this thread. I will visit daily.
celebrate.gif

robin, looks like you got 3 out of 7 i sent you? i guess that isn't too bad but i sure was hoping for a better % for you. i saw somewhere someone on here has a running tally of hatching success...it was about 55% for both incubators and broodies, so i guess 50% isn't too bad. that is the worst hatche rate i have heard of with my eggs, and the FIRST time either i or anyone else have had infertiles if i recall correctly! could be the weather getting colder...i guess i shouldn't worry about it. we are bringing in a new roo this year (son of my great roo malcolm) and will be able to breed both father/daughter and mother/son pairings to invigorate our flock's reproductive vigor, so hopefully i am a step ahead of any worries about that anyway.

so if you get another 3 or 4 out of the next 7 i shipped, you'll be doing pretty good...hopefully all these outages don't play havoc with them! wishing you the very best.

Update.
I think I have figured out the weird deaths-in -the-eggs that have occured.
No a little cold would not hurt them, but for the first time, I am using my big incubator for the 2 1/2 weeks with a turner and the styrofoam electronic cheapo for lockdown..and all is well but when the power went out, all cooled and when it came back on everything went OK except the styrofoam one was too hot getting back up to temp, understand ?
I hate that thing and will throw it away soon as the rest of the eggs are done.
Anyway that is why a few pipped, and the power went out and came on and killed the rest in lockdown unbeknownst to me, and in a few days I added some more to lockdown, that were alive, then the power went out again but did not kill them all this time , although most of the 'middle' hatches were harmes, the beginning and this end hartch should be OK, that is 4 more Javas and a few more of my BBS Marans and Cuckoos.
I am so mad.
I was going to throw them all away, I cracked open 12 eggs that were 4-5 days over due and everyone was still, and looked to be about 1 week from pip, these all exposed to the high heat when the elemnet kicked back on.
I have cleaned the big incubator out, and will put the turner back in, and set more eggs despite common sense what with these storms !
And the styrofoam one will go bye bye once and for all.
It has over heated so many times I cannot tell you, and it happens fast, and if I do the tiniest adjustment it can soar off the charts quickly, way over sensitive.
The big incubator has a big element and fan and wafer thermostat and has always worked for me.
Stupid me !
he.gif

I AM SO SORRY CHICKIELADY, It is so devistating to find out that some did not make it. It is always a bummer for me too. I haven't had it happen very much, but when it does it sucks!
hit.gif

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.
I am used to fantastic hatches.
My fault for not figureing this out in the first place.
Once the styrofoam incubator is up and running it is usually OK although has trouble with the cooling and warming of the room, has trouble counter balancing the temps out for some reason.
Well, it will not happen ever again.
And there is still eggs in there to hatch, and it looks like our storms have finally slowed...I just keep fingers crossed for the next hatch and hope they are OK !

Awe man that sucks when your incubator messes up. I started out with Little Giant incubators and after a season or two I had to watch them like a hawk because they would spike and drop temperature, anything could set them off.

Chickielady, the fuzzy butts are so cute, way to go! So glad you caught the bandit. Can you use your big incubator for your lockdown? I hope your weather calms down.

haTHOR, I think the percentages might be down now because it is the fall/winter hatches and that in the spring hatches we will see the percentages increase. I have better hatch rate percentages in the spring. I guess it is a more natural time to hatch.

TACEYPERKINS, nice to meet you.

I hope to have 3 to 4 BJ chicks hatch this weekend. I will keep you all posted and since my daughter-in-law, Jennifer showed me how to post my photos, lol, I will hopefully show you all my new and growing Black Java flock.

javachick

Evening All...thanks javachick for keeping the possible option open. I'm not really close though.
I agree with the eggs having the most vigor in springtime. The strongest chicks are born in the spring. In my opinion.
Thanks for sharing the pics. Nice to see everyones goin on stuff.
~ bigzio

Back
Top Bottom