Java Thread

Pics
i'll message you, but yes i can dye them.
smile.png
i have a terrible double capital murder trial to attend starting monday so give me soem time for things to settle down...my brother and his partner were murdered a yr ago and right now everything is pretty chaotic & stressful.

i am from within a few miles of where the hundreds of blackbirds died on new year's eve here in arkansas. my mother reported seeing "lots" of dead birds in the next few days. the thought so far is that blunt trauma killed them.

Examinations of the birds sent to the center this week showed most had injuries consistent with collisions, including bruising of tissues and organs. The investigation by the laboratory turned up no evidence of poisoning or the presence of pesticides that might have been responsible for the deaths.

"It was impact trauma," said Scott Wright, branch chief of disease investigations at the laboratory. "What they're thinking is that there were some commercial-grade fireworks that went off. Those need a permit but nobody applied for a permit so it's unlikely anybody would come forward. There were something like 10 booms reported."

i read that the 500 birds in LA were likely the victim of bad weather.​

Good Morning everyone !
I snapped a few pics of the babies, now almost 2 months old...there is a shy pullet and a camera shy but alert cockeral and the Cuckoo Marans...they have just been moved from the brooder pen to the big coop...so were scared...
50801_java_babies_again_005.jpg

the little cockeral on red alert
50801_java_babies_again_004.jpg

camera shy for sure !
50801_java_babies_again_003.jpg

50801_java_babies_again_002.jpg

50801_java_babies_again_001.jpg

Well, just wanted to update.
haTHOR these are 2 of your babies !
Take care all~

Can we talk leg color? I know slate is preferred, but what exactly is "willow"? Is it a flaw or something one would want to use to eliminate a bird from the breeding program?

And as long as we're at it...

Eye color is dark brown. How dark is dark? Can someone post a photo of the ideal?

Do you have a copy of the APA SOP ?
I can ask a friend who raises Java about the willow and eye color, but I have not shown them so cannot advise.
Maybe Javachick or haTHOR can ?

SOP says eyes: dark brown, that's all it says.
Disqualifications include the "total absence of yellow on the bottoms of feet. Bottoms of feet MUST be yellow"
Shanks: Black or almost totally black with a tendency toward willow, black preferred.
Beak: Black
Another disqualification: anymore than 1/2" of positive white in the plumage, two or more feathers tipped in positive white, skin or bottoms of feet showing a complete absence of yellow.

So my question is, will the legs darken as the bird ages ?
And will the bottoms of the feet lighten more yellow as the bird ages ?

I have asked my Java friend the questions, and will let you know when he answers my e-mail.
Staying warm up there ?
Hope the chicks are doing well !

Black Java Chicken eye color: dark chocolate brown the darker the better I think.

47762_8_year_old_rooster_2010.jpg

47762_quinn_face_2010.jpg

This is Quinn and she is a 4-H fair Grand Champion Production hen.

47762_quinn_2010.jpg

Quinn

47762_trixie_face_photo_2010.jpg

Trixie

When I see a Black Java with reddish colored eyes I know it carries the white gene or maybe Mottled. I have not worked with the Mottled colored Javas so I can't say for certain about them. Personally, I breed for the darkest eye color I can.

javachick

Feet color gold:

47762_black_java_rooster_8_years_old_2010.jpg

Golden feet

Sometimes Black Javas have pinkish bottom feet which is not correct but bred to a bird with golden feet this can be corrected.

I am searching for the correct discription of the color willow, but I think it is greenish like the leg color of this rooster, but I am trying to confirm that. OK I typed in color willow on google images and it came up with green things. lol I will search in a poultry book to confirm this too. lol

I put the pages of the Java Information of the SOP 1910 in a word doc. Is there a way to post it on the thread?

javachick

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom