Jealous hen?

Mar 12, 2023
Florida
I am fascinated by chicken behavior. My 5 months old ladies just started laying. They cackle/cluck like this before going into lay. Are they in pain? Just announcing the feat?

This pullet is standing outside making the same sound while the other is in laying. Is she jealous? Making an announcement?

I wish chickens could speak English. :)

They're fine! That kind of call is called the "egg song". Completely normal! They usually do that either before or right after laying an egg.
Thank you. I was wondering why the hen outside was doing that, too, but I think I figured it out. She was going to lay an egg. But she wanted the specific box that was already in use even though she has 6 others to choose from. 🙄 As soon as the other hen was done, she went into that box and dropped an egg, too.

Thank you. I was wondering why the hen outside was doing that, too, but I think I figured it out. She was going to lay an egg. But she wanted the specific box that was already in use even though she has 6 others to choose from. 🙄 As soon as the other hen was done, she went into that box and dropped an egg, too.
Kinda funny how they all fight over one box Lol Glad you got it figured out!

Back
Top Bottom