JELLY TIME IN GEORGIA *send help*

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by DLS, May 3, 2009.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

Its late spring jelly time in Georgia.
    I want to know some of your best wild black berry jelly recipes black berries are just starting to ripen ALSO I want to learn about making flower petal jelly Honney suckle & rose ect. I see that the mullberry trees are all hanging with ripe mullberries what about them ? any one make anything from them???
    Thanks
    Dan

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    I envy you! I live in the woods and don't have any! [​IMG]
    I remember climbing the mulberry tree after school any eating 'till we almost got sick! Ahh! Memories! Sorry, we never made anything from them. Just a mess of ourselfs!!

3. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    I grew up picking wild blackberries for my Granny, Aunts, and Mom who made jelly with them and boy do I miss it. My Aunt lives in Chickamauga and that is where my Mom was raised. Every summer we got to pick them and watch them make the jelly and those were the best times

4. Buckhorn Farm

Buckhorn Farm OLD Country Girl

Mar 30, 2009
    North Florida
    Yes jelly time it is! My DD and I picked 3 gallons of Dewberries/Blackberries this weekend. I use the recipe in the sure-jell box. I have mixed it with grape or plum which turns out nice my DS loves the Blackberry-grape. It is so much fun making jelly. I have seen recipes for the rose petal jelly....I'll see if I can find it for you.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  5. Buckhorn Farm

Buckhorn Farm OLD Country Girl

Mar 30, 2009
    North Florida
    found this one on line.

Rose Petal Jelly

Pick roses early in the morning as soon as dry from the dew. Do not use roses that have been sprayed with insecticide. Use 6 or 7 roses for one jar.
    Remove petals very carefully by pulling petals away from stem. Cut petals above the white ends.

Blend 1 cup roses petals, 3/4 cup water and the juice of one lemon until smooth.

Gradually add 2 1/2 cups sugar. Blend until sugar is dissolved.

Stir 1 package Sure-Jel in 3/4 cup water and bring to boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Start blender and add hot solution. Blend at low speed until thoroughly mixed.

Pour into hot sterilized jars and refrigerate until used.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'm jealous! It'll be August before we get any blackberries. Heck, we don't even get strawberries for a few more weeks!

7. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks. It shure makes SMALL batches . with Muscadine grapes * use the juice & can make a lot more at a time .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by