Jem the (Footless) Wonder Hen

Robin Song

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2016
Talkeetna, Alaska
A year ago Feb 11th, I rescued a 2 year old hen who had just lost both feet to frostbite. She was starving and had a severe infection in the left stump. I named her "Jem" because I could see that she was a 'diamond in the rough'. With the help of our local Vet-Jennifer- I nursed Jem back to health & learned how to wrap her stumps and make booties for her so she can walk, take dustbaths, jump-when she flaps her wings, ride in the car with my 2 dogs, go on hikes with us in her special backpack, and live in the cabin with me as comfortably as possible.
I am hopeful to have prosthetics made for her so she can walk more normally and have her weight on the prosthetics instead of on the stumps, which are not designed to take her full weight.
I have a friend who has a 3D printer- all we need is someone with a program for poultry prosthesis.
If anyone can help, please contact me here, or text/call me: 907-354-7267.
This wonderful hen deserves to have feet again. She's been through so much- including a life-saving emergency surgery. She's loving, gentle, and charms everyone she meets. She's an inspiration about how to keep on going, despite tough challenges, and the strength of the will to live.
20200803_125231.jpg

A year ago Feb 11th, I rescued a 2 year old hen who had just lost both feet to frostbite. She was starving and had a severe infection in the left stump. I named her "Jem" because I could see that she was a 'diamond in the rough'. With the help of our local Vet-Jennifer- I nursed Jem back to health & learned how to wrap her stumps and make booties for her so she can walk, take dustbaths, jump-when she flaps her wings, ride in the car with my 2 dogs, go on hikes with us in her special backpack, and live in the cabin with me as comfortably as possible.
I am hopeful to have prosthetics made for her so she can walk more normally and have her weight on the prosthetics instead of on the stumps, which are not designed to take her full weight.
I have a friend who has a 3D printer- all we need is someone with a program for poultry prosthesis.
If anyone can help, please contact me here, or text/call me: 907-354-7267.
This wonderful hen deserves to have feet again. She's been through so much- including a life-saving emergency surgery. She's loving, gentle, and charms everyone she meets. She's an inspiration about how to keep on going, despite tough challenges, and the strength of the will to live. View attachment 2291017
Awww....the poor girl has been thru hell, she's a fighter for sure. AND Bless your heart for making her as comfortable as possible. Keep up your good works!

CBD oil can help with pain, kinda expensive, but there is some for birds on amazon! This info was copied from @Weeg
I will check it out. I started her on a pain medication from the Vet a few weeks ago, as she was fussing when she had to stand on one stump while I was wrapping the other one in prep for the bootie, each morning. She gets the med an hour before I start on her wraps and it seems to help.
I massage a salve into her legs each night after I remove the booties, before I put her to roost. It keeps the skin healthy and prevents cracking.
I would prefer the CBD oil, if it works. I'm on Disability and a fixed income, but I budget for Jem's Flex Wrap, medicine, and everything else she needs. She's worth evert cent.

Back
Top Bottom