Jeopardy.... Watson...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rebelcowboysnb, Feb 16, 2011.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Any opinions on how IBM did on Jeopardy?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I thought it was really good... I only watched yesterday and today though...

3. rebelcowboysnb

I'm willing to bet the end result for that project it to build a better search engine.

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    The kids watched it,and thought it was neat. I was thinking how could the computer miss ANYTHING??? If you load it with all avaliable information,and computer *thought*(processing) is so fast then I was thinking Watson would get 100%

5. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I think watson may have missed a few things by the way the questions were worded..

I noticed that for some questions they didnt even display the watson graph... I am wondering if maybe because of the way Alex spoke.. accent... pauses.... ect... if that affected the speech recognition .. I know we use dragon sometimes and it misses the easiest words.... (cap for cat....ect but its the way we speak)

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I watched O'Reilly interview a gal involved with Watson.

It's speech recognition still isn't there and someone had to 'quickly' type in his inquiries, so there is still 'human error' there.

But... in a few years... might computers take over the world?????[​IMG]

7. rebelcowboysnb

Yea, he was gave the info by text. The issue still is understanding the intricacy of human language. Anyone who has used Google or Bing or Yahoo knows they can find the same words being used but but cant actually understand the questions being asked. Watson was an attempt to fix that. I think it did pretty well.

8. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:they already do... have you tried to go one day without using ANYTHING related to a computer?... you cant nowadays... nothing is analog anymore (or very few).. even out old landline telephone is run by a computer

9. darkbyrd

darkbyrd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    Pisgah Nat'l Forest, GRD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by