Jersey cow just had a heifer, how long do I wait?

I'm glad that your mama Jersey took to the little calves. I plan on doing this myself. My little Jersey is only 5 months now, so next year we will breed her. I'm not sure, I think I want to breed her to another Jersey. I hope she will take a couple calves easily like yours did.

Quote:
That's good to know MissPrissy as we've got a few does and our heifer just got bred! Our heifer won't be due till Feb. 3rd however....I wonder if any of the goats will have given birth by then?? We can't really save milk in the freezer now as we're going to be putting the two steers, chickens, turkeys and pheasants this year as well as a bunch of broccoli, snow peas and green beans.... No room....

Stacy

Quote:
She may settle A.I. after 150 days but, a bull, if available, is a good choice because he will probably breed her several times and therefore the chances are better. Plus, with A.I. those straws are sometimes thinned down. Your colored breeds (Jersey being one of them) don't tend to have this as there is less demand for them. When we have trouble getting a holstein to breed back we use Milking Shorthorn. Still a milking breed plus there is the side benefit of possibly a blue and white calf.

Farmer Kitty,
Do you have a pic of a blue and white calf by any chance..or even a grown version? I would LOVE to see that! Maybe I can get a milking shorthorn for her next calf!! I'm willin' to give it a try!!!

Stacy

Here is a pic of a blue and white cow. I also have a calf who is marked like this but, is almost black. They guy that has told us how to do this said she is blue and white too and may lightenup as she gets older.
Blue.jpg

You may end up with a cow that looks like this:
Alice.jpg

You get these types of cows by crossing a black and white holstein with the milking shorthorn.

If you don't see her come into heat there is a "program" you can do. I would imagine these are not drugs you have on hand so you will need to go to the vets office to get them. We can get them in 10 dose bottles but, not smaller.

You can have her vet checked or just start it as this dumps any heat cycle going and starts over.

First you give GNRH.
Wait 11 days and then give Lutalyse.
Wait 2 days and give GNRH.
Wait 16 to 18 hours and have her bred.

The doses should be on the bottles.
For a low producing cow you can do this at 60 days.
For a high producing cow you should wait for 100 days.

If she isn't cycling this should help get her to cycle.

syncing is a personal choice.i bought an open pair last year.she had been calved 90 days when i bought her.an i didnt expose her to the bull till jul 1st an that was 150 plus days open.an she bred on her 1st heat with the bull 17 days later.an she calved yesterday or the nite before.so they will breed back if their in good shape an nothing is wrong with their repro tract.now some cows just wont settle with AI.an thats a fact of life.

Farmer Kitty! She's beautiful!!! Is she yours?? How lucky!!! I love that color! Could I do that with my jersey...cross with a milking shorthorn to get a blue??

Stacy

Quote:
Yes, she belonged to us. Sadly we just shipped her on Monday. I do have a heifer calf that is blue and hopefully more to come. It seems our blues tend to be bulls.
sad.png

To get the blue you cross a black and white holstein with the milking shorthorn. And then that calf may look more like the black and white one shown. If you cross her with the milking shorthorn your chances are higher but, not guarinteed! I'm not sure what you would get if you cross a jersey with a milking shorthorn but, I bet it would be pretty marked! Milking shorthorns do seem to be easy calving, or we have just had luck, but I would watch the calving ease if you are breeding A.I. Calving ease is what the predicted size of the calf will be. Your A.I. representative can help you with that.

OH yes! My AI farmer did pick the jersey bull that had the calving ease vs the his other...He looked at her and said she was kinda small so decided on that one. I'm gonna have to be PMing you when her time draws near! LOL!

Stacy

Back
Top Bottom