Jersey Giant - about 4-5 month old

apowell

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 1, 2012
Olympia, Washington
Last of our 6 "pullets" - 4 roos already dispatched to freezer camp, really hoping we have one lady here, but I'm just not sure. Someone out there is crowing, I haven't caught them yet but I suspect it is Bird 1. What do you think? Anyone in Washington need a roo-giant?

Bird 1:

Bird 2

Both Birds together

it is hard to tell as neither has any sign of cockerel feathering...going by comb and wattle size then the first is a cockerel. at 16-20 weeks of age you should however be seeing long, slender pointed saddles and hackles. you may have a crowing pullet....

it is hard to tell as neither has any sign of cockerel feathering...going by comb and wattle size then the first is a cockerel. at 16-20 weeks of age you should however be seeing long, slender pointed saddles and hackles. you may have a crowing pullet....

What hdowden said
roll.png

Bird 1 looks like it has hackle feathers starting to me. They both look roo-ish, truthfull. Giants are slower to mature and they just don't look feminine.

Bird 1 looks like it has hackle feathers starting to me. They both look roo-ish, truthfull. Giants are slower to mature and they just don't look feminine.

I agree about both looking roo-ish. Keep an eye on those saddle feathers on bird 2. I had an Ameraucana that didn't show any signs of manly feathers until he was about 6 months old, and it was the saddle feathers that came in first.

They are both almost 5 months old. We had 6 and the "chief roo" was clearly a roo. Saddle feathers, crowing, mounting roo-bird. 3 others had distinctive saddle feathers, but no crowing. Those four left about 10 days ago, bird 1 started crowing about a week after that. Goobers. I think you are right about hackle feathers on him.

take the one that is crowing catch it and have a piece of white paper with you and place a few of the hackles on the paper you should be able to tell for sure if they are pointed or not

Back
Top Bottom