Jersey Giant - about 4-5 month old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by apowell, Jan 5, 2013.

1. apowell

apowell Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Olympia, Washington
    Last of our 6 "pullets" - 4 roos already dispatched to freezer camp, really hoping we have one lady here, but I'm just not sure. Someone out there is crowing, I haven't caught them yet but I suspect it is Bird 1. What do you think? Anyone in Washington need a roo-giant?

Bird 1:
    [​IMG]

Bird 2
    [​IMG]

Both Birds together
    [​IMG]

2. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    Bird 1 is definitely a roo. Bird 2 is looking rooish as well, but i'm not positive.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it is hard to tell as neither has any sign of cockerel feathering...going by comb and wattle size then the first is a cockerel. at 16-20 weeks of age you should however be seeing long, slender pointed saddles and hackles. you may have a crowing pullet....

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

What hdowden said [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Bird 1 looks like it has hackle feathers starting to me. They both look roo-ish, truthfull. Giants are slower to mature and they just don't look feminine.

6. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    I agree about both looking roo-ish. Keep an eye on those saddle feathers on bird 2. I had an Ameraucana that didn't show any signs of manly feathers until he was about 6 months old, and it was the saddle feathers that came in first.

7. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I think it's too early to tell for sure either way...

8. apowell

apowell Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Olympia, Washington
    They are both almost 5 months old. We had 6 and the "chief roo" was clearly a roo. Saddle feathers, crowing, mounting roo-bird. 3 others had distinctive saddle feathers, but no crowing. Those four left about 10 days ago, bird 1 started crowing about a week after that. Goobers. I think you are right about hackle feathers on him.

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    take the one that is crowing catch it and have a piece of white paper with you and place a few of the hackles on the paper you should be able to tell for sure if they are pointed or not

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by